What speed you recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speed you recommend

I am planning to get VMedia and what speed do you recommend. Here is what I need / use:

(1) Two TVs, will be using two vboxes
    (2) I have a VOIP phone with ******
    (3) Two laptops for kids (for regular school work and of course online movies etc)

Also, should I go DSL or Cable option? For DSL, I will be needing Dry Loop. How about cable?

Thanks for your help in advance.

i would suggest 15/10 and up DSL
    25/10 would be better.. not sure if you would need it,, i have 50/10 dsl with 3 vboxes and 4 comps, and numerous wifi devices and i could probably make due with 15/10..
    checking speeds, i VERY rarely go over 10 or 12mbps
    voip barely uses bandwidth at all.. 90k... that less than 10% of a mb

just my opinion

but the fast speeds are nice to have when doing downloads :-)

Comment

Need to check DSL in your area, if its a viable option go for it, stay away from cable for now to avoid disappointment. Unfortunately DSL is very geographically sensitive, if the lines are solid in your area then it will be the more stable connection, however if the the infrastructure is poor then it could be a nightmare, cable has issues all its own at the moment however and no matter where you are you will be affected.

Comment

Thanks to both of you, helps.

Comment

Originally posted by schanwin View Post
          I am planning to get VMedia and what speed do you recommend. Here is what I need / use:

(3) Two laptops for kids (for regular school work and of course online movies etc)

Also, should I go DSL or Cable option? For DSL, I will be needing Dry Loop. How about cable?

i prefer the Cable route, but that said I signed up when it was $42/month for 45/4 - I have two kids and a wife plus viop, I work from home, as well two v boxes..
          I would recommend the fastest you can afford, so you can enjoy your set up. I prefer cable over DSL, as you receive a STATIC IP, no need for dryloop extra costs - I dislike Bell that much so I wanted to be bell free, I find cable set up a lot more stable than I do the DSL modems, connections. Cable tends to offer faster speeds in more areas than DSL.. The only negative with cable, v media is going through growth pains, so it is half speeds from 8PM to 11PM.. but livable.

Comment

Originally posted by schanwin View Post

I currently have DSL 15/1.
            I have 1 VBox and VOIP via Ooma (which I had before moving to VMedia).
            I also work from home. We have many, many devices connected. Printers, laptops, desktop, gaming systems, smart phones and tablets.
            I have tested watching VBox and Netflix at the same time on different devices. I experienced no problems. My son will often catch-up on Hockey videos via TSN and we've had no problems.
            I am very satisfied with my VMedia experience so far.
            Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
            X