Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Channel - Discover Velocity

Good afternoon VMedia,

Could you please let us know if VMedia has any plans to offer the new Discovery Velocity channel? If so, will it be a part of the UChoose package, or will it be offered as part of a separate package?
    To be honest with you, I'm still not sure if this is a completely new channel - but from what I've heard, Discovery World has been re-branded as Discover Velocity, and so I am assuming that this will be a separate channel, and will run in parallel with the regular Discovery Channel.

Anyways, it seems that currently they run a preview, from Feb 12 to March 31, 2015 - please see the source below:
    (source http://www.discoveryvelocity.ca/Show...y-Free-Preview)

Thank you.

Good morning VMedia,

Any updates on this new channel? Unfortunately, the free preview period is almost over now - does VMedia have any plans on adding this channel to its lineup?

Thank you.

Comment

I think they're more concerned about getting their service back to a stable state, than they are about adding new channels at the moment. But that aside, it takes quite a bit of negotiation to add a new channel, so seeing as it was just launched, I wouldn't expect to see it in the VMedia lineup any time soon. :P

Comment

we recently added 4 channels to Basic and Premium Basic packages: ICI Gatineau, CKWS Kingston, Ami-tele, Tele-Quebec. We are working on adding more.
        It would be nice to have members orgsnize a poll to vote on the channels they would like us to get

Comment

Ckws and ici only show black screen. I would avoid an announcement until they actually work

Comment

I'd add Discovery Velocity if you offer it.

Comment

I'd add Discovery Velocity in a heartbeat if it was offered.
              Last edited by DaBruuzer; 09-28-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Any updates on the possibility of adding Discovery Velocity as a U-Choose option?

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post
                  ... It would be nice to have members organize a poll to vote on the channels they would like us to get.
                  I'm not sure how much longer a lot of the "niche" channels are going to exist after the new 'pick and pay' rules come into effect next year. With people already shifting their viewing habits to the internet, there will likely be a sudden large decrease in the number of subscribers for most channels. Over the next couple of years there could be some consolidation down to a much smaller number of Canadian channels, with the ones that remain having a more mainstream oriented focus.

BTW -- When we will we find out how these pick and pay rules will be implemented? There doesn't seem to be anyone at any of the cable/satellite/IPTV companies talking publicly about it.

Nasa TV is one channel you definitely do not have to consider adding to the line-up as it works through the internet browser of the VBox. Or to be a little more accurate, the Educational version, which is not much different from the public one, works on my quad-core VBox if you go to

and click-on 'Education' for the channel you want to select.
                  Last edited by Sham_Poser; 09-28-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sham_Poser View Post

BTW -- When we will we find out how these pick and pay rules will be implemented? There doesn't seem to be anyone at any of the cable/satellite/IPTV companies talking publicly about it.
                    By December 2015 all channels must be made available to us via small theme pack, and by March 2016 in 'a la carte' form as well.

On our side, we're just waiting for updated pricing and availability from the upstream content holders so we can implement. It's likely this won't be forthcoming though until much closer to the aforementioned dates.

Comment

Any update on Discovery Velocity?

Comment

Working...
                      X