Cable or Bell Internet??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable or Bell Internet??

I'm hoping early in the new year to kick Robber's to the curb...however going to wait to see if the problems of the last month sort them selves out almost completely before doing so. So my ? is which has been the more reliable internet service cable or fttn..I've read that bell's service is both faster & more reliable is this true?? Thanks for any information

I have cable and from Guelph. No problems. I have only been with Vmedia for 1 month. I can tell you the internet I have 60/10 and the lowest speed I have had has been 55. As for the TV it is no rogers or bell for quality. The odd problems. But getting better. The vbox is ok but I heard they have a quad core box coming out in the spring. But on the dec 28 my internet went down to a speed of 11 and the tv is really choppy.
    Last edited by DM21; 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Yes, more money to spend!!

Comment

I have DSL 15/1, my brother-in-law has a cable package. We both subscribe to the TV service as well. I have been 4 months with VMedia my BroLaw 2 months. We both have enjoyed the service immensely and raved about it over Christmas. I have had very few problems with DSL. In 4 months I've noticed 5-6 hours of downtime. My BroLaw told me his cable service is much better through VMedia. There were some problems with TV the first week of December, but it was not "life-altering". TV has been great since that time. We are heavy internet users (on all the time) but not heavy TV users. We have 1 VBox and I've not had any issues streaming both TV on the VBox and Netflix on the laptop at the same time. My children enjoy a number of online games via the PC, PS4 and their Apple hardware. Previously, my internet provider was a 3rd party supplier and my TV was with Bell. My VOIP is through Ooma and I had already put $$$ into the Ooma telco before moving to VMedia. I now do EVERYTHING via the internet and am enjoying the savings. Dropping Bell (TV, phone), 3rd party internet and moving to VMedia (Internet, TV) and Ooma (VOIP) is saving me $150.00/month.

Comment

Cable 25/2 in scarborough. Speed tests are always solid. Can't complain about cable Internet.

Comment

I think cable internet reliability (in particular, congestion) seems to depend on your location. You can see tons of complaints all over these forums from people who are suffering from the congestion caused by Ciktel not upgrading the capacity for VMedia fast enough, for example, and there were a ton of issues with some Cogeco users over the summer, as well (though I don't recall reading much about those lately). But VMedia is ditching Ciktel and going directly with Rogers sometime in the (relatively) near future, so hopefully that will alleviate the congestion issues for Rogers cable area subscribers.

Personally, I've been on 25/10 DSL in Oakville since April, and suffered from a few Bell-wide outages in my area (not VMedia's fault) and one period of 1-2 weeks where Bell screwed up a capacity upgrade and things were seriously wonky, and a maybe 1-2 week period in the summer just before a capacity upgrade when things were pretty rough during prime time. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

The big thing to remember with VMedia is this: you're paying very little money for unlimited internet. That tends to attract a lot of high usage users, which means that it can be difficult for VMedia to predict their capacity upgrade needs. And since they're a pretty new, small company, they can't really afford to do HUGE capacity upgrades if they aren't going to have the customers to pay for it in a relatively short period of time. It's a balancing act that *I* wouldn't want to try to figure out, but for the most part they're not doing terribly at it.

Comment

Originally posted by wearysky View Post
              I think cable internet reliability (in particular, congestion) seems to depend on your location. You can see tons of complaints all over these forums from people who are suffering from the congestion caused by Ciktel not upgrading the capacity for VMedia fast enough, for example, and there were a ton of issues with some Cogeco users over the summer, as well (though I don't recall reading much about those lately). But VMedia is ditching Ciktel and going directly with Rogers sometime in the (relatively) near future, so hopefully that will alleviate the congestion issues for Rogers cable area subscribers.

Personally, I've been on 25/10 DSL in Oakville since April, and suffered from a few Bell-wide outages in my area (not VMedia's fault) and one period of 1-2 weeks where Bell screwed up a capacity upgrade and things were seriously wonky, and a maybe 1-2 week period in the summer just before a capacity upgrade when things were pretty rough during prime time. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

The big thing to remember with VMedia is this: you're paying very little money for unlimited internet. That tends to attract a lot of high usage users, which means that it can be difficult for VMedia to predict their capacity upgrade needs. And since they're a pretty new, small company, they can't really afford to do HUGE capacity upgrades if they aren't going to have the customers to pay for it in a relatively short period of time. It's a balancing act that *I* wouldn't want to try to figure out, but for the most part they're not doing terribly at it.
              This guy knows what he is talking about. The sooner we say goodbye Ciktel the better.............

Comment

Working...
              X