Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any truth to this? Internet Throttling next month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any truth to this? Internet Throttling next month?

Is there any comment by Vmedia? Any truth to this or is this guy spreading FUD?

Originally Posted by ManCaveGamer
    there will be throttling next month for Ontario customers...

"We plan to deploy a new technology for better network management effective Feb 8, 2015. If abnormal traffic (huge burstable traffic due to downloading non-real time big files) detected from/to a customer network in peak hour (6:00pm to 12:00am), that customer internet speed will be automatic put to lower priority for a short period and will be automatic back to normal once the peak hour period ends. We plan to put this into production to our network from Feb 8 2015 and currently we are still in research stage and adjusting parameters to avoid affecting any customer normal internet use such as watching online video/playing gaming etc. This should help us manage our network better without causing any inconvenience to even most of heavy users and all of normal users. If you feel you are affected by this technology, please feel free to contact us any time so that we can investigate if we need to improve the algorithm."

-and-

"[...] we strongly recommend all customers to move unnecessary downloading to non-peak hours (0:00am to 18:00) as much as possible, this would benefit ALL of our customers including you on a long term basis. To express our thanks to your support in avoiding big downloading in peak hour, we are planning to award those top customers with lowest usage in peak hour and we will announce more details later."

(^ whatever that means...)

That's misinformation. That text actually came from CikTel to their customers. No one knows how or if it would affect VMedia customers, but given CikTel's track record, anything could happen I guess.

Comment

Just read that on RFD myself and came here looking for answers...sounds like a disaster in the making...

Comment

That might be why CIK (rogers) internet users are seeing the cut back in speeds during the peak hours. Could CIK be testing their new technology on Vmedia customers first?

Comment

I speculated on that possibility in another post elsewhere in these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by giggabotch View Post
            That's misinformation. That text actually came from CikTel to their customers. No one knows how or if it would affect VMedia customers, but given CikTel's track record, anything could happen I guess.

No misinformation intended. Just seeking clarification on whether or not this ends up impacting Vmedia users, and what Vmedia's stance is in all of this.

Comment

No, no, I was implicating whoever made the original post on Red Flags not you Dkz. Anyway buy the time Feb- March rolls around this will all be moot.
              Last edited by giggabotch; 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

could this be why te*save upped their starter (internet) packages by another 100G ?? at the front end?

interesting, if one considers teksave still DO offer un-limitted dlls between 2-8 am...my oh my what am i to do? i was considering a switch...arrggghh only saying since this issue with internet battles between providers and third parties is getting OLD with me...ONLY reason i'm NOT with providers, ie, robbers (via cable) or bev (via fibe-not avail here) is cuz they are like thieves what with their damned pricing...i dont much care anymore about commenting on each of their service - they all have their pros and cons - i trouble shoot my own shiate...its PRICE that does it for me and delivery of service ..

if a company cannot deliver what they advertise, could care less the reasons for their politics - i shop and i shop, and i shop until i decide to make the best decision on THOSE factors if i am to move on? who delivers what they advertise,,, unless someone can correct me on how tecksave is doing with speeds (AT PEAK HRS) so far they are better than the others (from what i see so far)... Vm is letting me down on internet speeds..so ill hang until its sorted out or i lose patience - until then?

what the OP posted, will be curious to watch, for chuckles

Comment

Working...
                X