Roku Television Set vs Regular TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roku Television Set vs Regular TV

Recently my 8 yr old samsung Plasma 50" has begun to buzz - so i am contemplating replacing it.

we have the QC+ box for TV only , plus Apple TV for netflix and games on that Samsung -
    But we also have another TV set with a roku premium+ box... we love it over the vBox which is annoying but has some benefits to it like titles while changing channels and info of channels which roku does not
    I was on Costco.ca and noticed they have a ROKU based 55" smart TV for $599 - since vMedia is supported by roku - i was thinking about replacing the QC+ and Buzzing TV with that..
    Can some folks chime in with their thoughts ?

Do you use the pvr on the QC+? If so, I would keep the vbox as the Roku can't record

Comment

Originally posted by koreybray View Post
      Do you use the pvr on the QC+? If so, I would keep the vbox as the Roku can't record
      i use vCloud and VOD - PVR hardly next to never.. as it really has not worked.

Comment

Odd.. never had an issue with mine... Could be your SD card used or the way it's formatted.

If you are ok with vCloud only then thats your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by koreybray View Post
          Are you saying, recording is actually working for you? I never could get it to work here, recording always keeps skipping over large portions of the content. Already tried different vboxes, different HDDs, different USB cables. All to no avail. Is there any secret to get the local PVR to work?!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

Are you saying, recording is actually working for you? I never could get it to work here, recording always keeps skipping over large portions of the content. Already tried different vboxes, different HDDs, different USB cables. All to no avail. Is there any secret to get the local PVR to work?!
            I have both a DC and QC VBox. I use a 32Gb SD card and have not had any problem either recording or playing back. The most I've recorded recently has been 1 hour programs. I have not tried a movie length recording in a long time.

Comment

There are known issues with various things related to PVR functionality on QC+ boxes. My understanding is that DC and QC boxes are not experiencing the same issues. The VMedia developers have been working on a fix for a few months now. I'm not sure the current status.

Comment

We're readying update. To go out late this week or early next week

Comment

Oops. Yes, Matt, I see your post about that in another thread now. I guess next time I should read all of my "unread posts" before I post about something.

Anyway... Back to the "Roku Television Set vs Regular TV" discussion (though I have nothing to add, since I know next to nothing about Roku).

Comment

i gonna bite the bullet on the hisence at costco - 55" $550 4kUHD with roku and $59 for 4 year warranty lol
                    cant go wrong
                    ideally would of liked vMedia release an apple tv app but such as that.. roku has been amazing for me thus far on the other TVs.
                    Last edited by entertainment; 02-28-2018, 05:05 PM. Reason: price of tv changed on sale

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

Yes... I have a 64 gb sandisk SD card formatted NTFS on the QC+. It records and plays back just fine on any channel.

Never really had an issue with it. Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't experienced them as of yet.

Comment

Costco is fast .. came home it was at my front door.. Gotta love UPS lol

Comment

just a follow up - TV is wall mounted and i love it.. - its so nice to be able to have a proper smart TV that actually works and software is updated automatically..
                          Roku TVs and boxes - update software automatically.. i love having vmedia as an app or netflix or weather network or 100s of other apps.. it is so much nicer and easier than an android box.
                          Not to mention - no external boxes to worry about..
                          NUMBER ONE bonus is one remote to control it all

Comment

Working...
                          X