X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbox + pvr

so I signed up with vmedia and now i'm missing my pvr. purchased a 2tb external hd on cyber monday but trying to figure out the best way to get pvr capabilities. any suggestions?

do i download an app? which app?

PVR is not yet available... we are all waiting patiently, but it has been "coming soon" for months.

Comment

that's disappointing. I was thinking there was a way to load a backend PVR server into one of the apps. xbmc as an example. but i'm guessing no one has done this yet?

I'll try calling vmedia for another response.... fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by njchan View Post
        that's disappointing. I was thinking there was a way to load a backend PVR server into one of the apps. xbmc as an example. but i'm guessing no one has done this yet?

I'll try calling vmedia for another response.... fingers crossed.
        unfortunately nothing ... all I got was a "coming soon" line. oh well. I'll give it 6 months or so then I may need to relook at rogers or fibetv.

Comment

I'm very interested in the Internet + IPTV offer, hence I contacted Vmedia.ca before subscribing in order to find about any PVR functionality,
          Based upon my recent phone call I was told the PVR function "would become available on VBOX via a new firmware upgrade in 4-6 weeks"....
          This being said, since you guys were told this, for months, I'm uncertain when this may become true.
          Another thing that somehow bothers me is the fact there are some TV channels available in HD with Rogers or Bell, but not yet available in HD on the Vmedia.ca TV packages.

Comment

I was told on November 17 that they were in the final stages of testing and it would be available within a few weeks.

Comment

I was told by VMedia support that the PVR service would launch on the 14th of December which has now been and gone. There is no information about PVR on the website and no mention anywhere of how it will work and when, or if it will be forthcoming. I read on the internet from an unrelated source (so don't know how they got the information or even if it is true) that it was a "cloud" based solution and that the recording would be on VMedias servers and then streamed on demand. It has been "Coming Soon" for many many months now and an official update from VMedia with some real information would be most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by whatnopvr View Post
                I was told by VMedia support that the PVR service would launch on the 14th of December which has now been and gone. There is no information about PVR on the website and no mention anywhere of how it will work and when, or if it will be forthcoming. I read on the internet from an unrelated source (so don't know how they got the information or even if it is true) that it was a "cloud" based solution and that the recording would be on VMedias servers and then streamed on demand. It has been "Coming Soon" for many many months now and an official update from VMedia with some real information would be most welcome.
                To add to this, I spoke to them about an unrelated issue recently and was told via the online chat by a rep that there was a massive update coming the first week of january that woulld fix alot of the issues I contacted them about, hopefully it's available in that.

Comment

I was doing some reading into how to get PVR working and the only way I can think of seems like a bit of a hack. If you buy an HDMI capture card (ie. one of the USB ones from Hauppage) and plug it into the VBox, you can teach the PVR software on your computer to send the IR codes for the VBox remote to control your VBox automatically. The only problems with this are:

a) I don't know how the VBox handles HDCP (the copy protection protocol). If it wouldn't go to the capture card, you would need to buy an HDMI splitter, which many people don't know usually strips the HDCP data from the connection and just passes through the video. (May be against TOS, I don't know)
                  b) Getting accurate guide data for VMedia might be challenging. Zap2It has VMedia listed as a cable provider but the channel order they give does not match mine at all. If there was a way to custom specify which channels were which within your PVR software, this may work.

I would love to see nicer PVR integration right into the VBox, but I also love my home theatre PC's XBMC setup, so I wouldn't mind using the Live TV module of that and skipping the VBox's crappy interface altogether!

Comment

Hi all,

I am considering signing up for the service, but PVR is table-stakes in this day and age. Dear VMedia, despite the obvious hassle it would be to switch away from my current ISP and TV provider, I wish to support these new initiatives as I feel 2014 is the first year that there are usable, legal alternatives to Rogers and Bell for me. An update on the PVR situation would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Walter

Comment

Hi all,

I just found this interesting article by Hugh Thompson from November 2013, titled "VMedia Review: Canada’s first OTT video provider". The author states that he visited the VMedia offices and interviewed the Alexei Tchernobrivets (CEO) as well as George Burger. The article It states the following:

"VMedia says the lack of PVR functionality is a business constraint and not a technical constraint. In a nutshell, content providers don’t want VMedia consumers to have PVR abilities at this time."

So, if this is true, has something changed on the business side to permit PVR?

Regards,

Walter (still waiting to sign up)

Comment

I think the constraint was on their Cloud based PVR solution. Which has caused them to have to write a new PVR solution to work with a local HDD.

Comment

Working...
                        X