Only Rogers/Bell Allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Rogers/Bell Allowed?

A friend of mine tried to get VMedia internet in her new condo in downtown Toronto. She was told the following from VMedia.

cx is unable to get our Internet service - the address is serviced by CRTC. please, cancel the account and refund the order
    Sincerely,
    (Name removed)
    VMedia Billing Department
    Apparently according to my friend, the building is "locked to Bell and Rogers"

I am wondering if anyone else has heard of this? Is it legally possible for Rogers/Bell to refuse access to the other ISP's? Doesn't this go against every anti-competetion rule there is?

She also tried the Techsavvy, ****** and Volcom. Same deal. How is this possible?

Did Bell or Rogers run pure fibre to that building? If it's FTTH then yes they can, the CRTC hasn't mandated they open up FTTH to IISPs.

Comment

If its anything like my condo, Bell/Rogers likely signed an exclusivity agreement with the condo board or management. Luckily for me, that exclusivity recently expired and I was able to go with another ISP.
      I'm not sure if it is illegal but it definitely happens a lot.

Comment

Man just when you think competition is opening up, there is this. I will check on the FTTH but I suspect it is probably what pngface said, a condo board decision. Christ, you are not even free in your own home!

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Rogers and Bell are scooping up rights to condos for Cable Exclusivity. Bell is challenging that right now to the CRTC saying it's only fair they get access too, but on the flipside they also begging the crtc saying 3rd party companies should NOT be allowed to use their fibre,

Comment

I really dislike the fact that I would be forced to use a service. That is like telling me what car to drive or what gas station I have to use. Where are the consumers rights in all this?

Comment

Dont get me started on that topic I could rant for days

Comment

I completely understand because I feel like ranting myself Jesus where is the Competition Bureau? Dont we have a Competition Act in this country for this very reason? I looked at their website and saw this:

The Competition Act is a federal law governing most business conduct in Canada. It contains both criminal and civil provisions aimed at preventing anti-competitive practices in the marketplace.
                Its purpose is to maintain and encourage competition in Canada in order to:
                • ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the Canadian economy
                To me what Rogers and Bell are doing is as much anti-competition as you can get. Alright I better stop because I will go on for days!

Comment

Nothing to do with competition, everything to do with condo living. If you live in a condo, you're agreeing to abide by the decisions of the condo board. Being stuck with Rogers or Bell is one of the lesser demons of living in a condo, imo.

Comment

Being locked to Robbers or Hell Bell is pure crap my sister lives in a condo as well with the same problem but it seem both those companies pay to control that building, as the owner has told me, so if you wish to have Cogeco, or another service added to that building you will have to pay an addition charge to have them added to saids building. I said this is just unfair and I posted to EVERYONE in her building whether they wish to have a better service other than getting ripped off by those two other companies. 92% of the building wanted Cogeco. So here's what I say you do exactly. Make out a posting letter with an email you just made, a NEW gmail account, and on this posting list ALL three companies with their rates, then walk around to each and every door and either tape or slide under there door this posting, within hours you will no the answer to you problem. It's really all about how much money is given to the owner of the building. "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks"

Comment

Originally posted by TallTim View Post
                      Make out a posting letter with an email you just made, a NEW gmail account, and on this posting list ALL three companies with their rates, then walk around to each and every door and either tape or slide under there door this posting, within hours you will no the answer to you problem. It's really all about how much money is given to the owner of the building. "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks"
                      It's nothing to do with the owner of the building if you're in a condo (as opposed to a rental building owned by one big corporation). In that case, it's the condo board that enters into these kinds of agreements (usually because Rogers/Bell offers the condo board free service). The only way to fix the problem in those cases is to go to your condo board and get it organized that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Trentelshark View Post
                        Did Bell or Rogers run pure fibre to that building? If it's FTTH then yes they can, the CRTC hasn't mandated they open up FTTH to IISPs.
                        We're on FTTH and with VM. Rogers opened it up no problem to ******** before we were with VM. It's likely an exclusivity agreement through the condo corp or condo board.

Comment

Working...
                        X