BEWARE MOVING!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEWARE MOVING!!!

Caution to all loyal customers!!! Don't move or your rates will get jacked up!

I signed up with VMedia for internet only last May...it was time to cut the chord from the overpriced, over-bloated Rogers, and I knew bell wasn't better. I thought I'd give Vmedia a go, the IPTV was in its infancy, and I wasn't ready to jump on board. Internet was pretty good over the summer, and 2 months into the hockey season I needed TV, so I decided to give the IPTV a go.

I got the IPTV in december, and have had NONSTOP issues, constant updates, bandwidth issues, syncing issues. Router reset, modem reset, vbox reset, log in, log in...you get the picture. It's mid january now, and the service is actually pretty stable - that is if the bandwidth is flowing. I have been willing to live with the pain, I was seeing some value in keeping some of my hard earned cash to deal with the occasional glitches and downtime...my wife, not so much.

So, my wife and I bought a new house, and where scheduling a move across town. I contact Vmedia, and to my surprise my current 25/2 ($40) plan is no longer offered? Vmedia only offers a 30/10 plan @ $60 a month, and you get a $5 discount if you have IPTV. We are talking a 50% increase, on what I've been paying. Clearly this is a mistake, they wouldn't do this to a loyal customer? Hell ya they would!! I look at comparable plans from Rogers, and $60 is a fair price I will concede; that is if you were actually getting what you paid for.

I have been doing speed tests since December due to troubleshooting the IPTV, and other downtimes, and I have NEVER seen 25/2. My average is 5mbps/2, and that is on a good night, sure I'll get spikes to 20mbs every now and then, but that is rare. This second at 11:45 at night i'm getting 4.01/1.89. I point this out to Vmedia...nothing. They credited 1 month of IPTV, due to issues they had on their end, but won't do anything about the rate plan.

So, I'm throwing in the towel, If i'm going to pay 50% more for internet, I may as well pay 70% more and get something that is reliable. I had a lot of hope for this company, but it's clear they have more growing pains to go through.

Originally posted by Iptvirgin View Post
    and to my surprise my current 25/2 ($40) plan is no longer offered? Vmedia only offers a 30/10 plan @ $60 a month
    That has nothing to do with VMedia. Rogers no longer offers that plan, so VMedia can't activate new lines with it. By moving, you're essentially activating a new line with Rogers and VMedia can't bring your old grandfathered plan to the new line. I also lost my 25/2 plan when I moved in November. There's absolutely nothing VMedia can do about it and it's certainly not VMedia's fault you chose to move.

Comment

I didn't know there was a bundle discount with vmedia if you have TV and Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by alexb View Post

That has nothing to do with VMedia. Rogers no longer offers that plan, so VMedia can't activate new lines with it. By moving, you're essentially activating a new line with Rogers and VMedia can't bring your old grandfathered plan to the new line. I also lost my 25/2 plan when I moved in November. There's absolutely nothing VMedia can do about it and it's certainly not VMedia's fault you chose to move.
        How does this make it the customer's problem, that is a bs excuse to make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by studiomaster View Post

How does this make it the customer's problem, that is a bs excuse to make more money.

It's a situation that VMedia has no control over. While I agree it shouldn't be the customers problem. VMedia doesn't have much of a choice, it is forced upon them by Rogers. This would be another thing worth complaining about to the CRTC. They are really the only ones that can fix this mess.

Comment

For who exactly?

Rogers is the company who provides the last mile, and has got the CRTC approval to refuse to "MOVE" grandfathered accounts. Vmedia has no choice but to accept the terms dictated by the CRTC/last mile provider.

You have a choice to either switch to DSL when you move, OR keep cable and accept the currently available packages that Vmedia is able to provide.

0 of this "extra" cost for you has anything to do with vmedia wanting more profits. If you don't like the setup of TPIA cable or Wholesale DSL, there is only 2 choices. Your local phone company or Local cable company and deal with them directly at even higher prices which is PURE PROFIT.

Other than that, you have to accept both of the Local LAST MILE providers always will have involvement. As a side note, we just can't have ever provider running wires of their own down the street. I've often said though we need a system where either the local community owns the last mile via FIBRE that all companies use to reach their customers, similar to how gas, water or electricity work OR all TPIA and DSL providers need to work together building their own network. Very doubtful either will happen, so complain to the CRTC. They are the ones who set the rules.

Comment

Vm advised new customers of their new internet plans..i read i think on FB a while back...those (existing customers) who were on the 25/2 all got grandfathered to the 30/5 without paying the new pricing PROVIDING you are an existing customer..once you drop the plan and later decide to sub again?? NOT one of these internet companies would ever put you back on the grandfathered plan..its just NOT done UNLESS special and i mean VERY special circumstances are present and THAT is NOT likely, 99.9% of the time

now , on the 30/5 (to those grandfathered) which btw, most cust wouldn't know they were grandfathered cuz companies commonly dont like to say boo about it...i have a sneaky suspicion they keep the upload the same as it was, however..so really, a customer who had 25/2 should be at the new 30/5..but in actuality the up remains at 2...the great part is the price remains the same (so long as customer stay aboard)...imho

i know it doesn't help soften the blow but there you have it - cheers

Comment

Originally posted by katburglars View Post
                i read i think on FB a while back...those (existing customers) who were on the 25/2 all got grandfathered to the 30/5 without paying the new pricing PROVIDING you are an existing customer..
                VMedia only upgraded customers in Cogeco territory to new speed tiers and grandfathered their pricing (http://forum.vmedia.ca/forum/interne...internet-plans).

They never upgraded existing customers' speed tiers in Rogers territory when they came out with the 30/5 and 60/10 plans.

Comment

As I mentioned before I am running through my compensation with vMedia in hopes they improve.. Fingers crossed.
                  so far it is up and down at prime time..

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking. Of course it's a BS excuse to make more money, that's how Rogers works. But I don't see any point in getting mad at VMedia about it, they are bound by the rules and regulations set out by the CRTC.

Comment

when i had my other place setup on Vmedia (went from Bell to Vmedia) they scheduled and appointment between 4 and 8,, i went over there and waited alone, playing on my ipad for 5 hours... and they didnt show up, but still had to pay $100 service call fee...
                      probably because it was going from and to the exact same setup, plan and modem etc.
                      yes its a total BS charge.. that is why i left Bell (in part) and why i will not go back to them..
                      however I have made it back in spades and will continue to, by how much i saved coming to Vmedia
                      this is between me and bell.. vmedia has no part in it.

Comment

Thought I would update this thread given my wife and I made a final decision. We simply opted to go back to Rogers. With Vmedia raising my rate plan 50% (from $40 to $60); it just made sense to pay the extra $10 and get a 60/10 plan from Rogers. I was with Rogers for 5 years before switching to Vmedia; I never had the internet speed inconsistencies and issues with them.

With the new copyright laws coming into effect; the unlimited internet Vmedia offers is no longer a value. When I called Vmedia to cancel, they were obviously disappointed I was leaving, I wasn't their first to leave based on the rate increase. Say what you will about the Rogers price increase, the CRTC only regulates how much Vmedia Pays Rogers/Bell, not how much Vmedia charges. A 50% rate increase is preposterous.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw2085 View Post

It's a situation that VMedia has no control over. While I agree it shouldn't be the customers problem. VMedia doesn't have much of a choice, it is forced upon them by Rogers. This would be another thing worth complaining about to the CRTC. They are really the only ones that can fix this mess.

You honestly think Rogers/Bell is charging Vmedia $20 more a month for a 5mpbs upgrade? Ha!

Comment

You honestly think Rogers/Bell is charging Vmedia $20 more a month for a 5mpbs upgrade? Ha!
                            Have you seen the approved CBB rates?

Bell: $1036/month for 100Mbps
                            Rogers: $1400/month for 100Mbps
                            Cogeco: $2556/month for 100Mbps
                            Videotron: $2031/ month for 100Mbps

$20 for 5Mbps is a bargain!

Comment

No but they do charge for overall capacity (a rediculous amount at that per mbps) and if you have a majority of your customers using 50% or more of their connection at a given time the costs add up to add more capacity. Especially with their TV service consuming bandwidth.

Before you go ripping on other posters do yourself a favour and go read up on how capacity based billing works.

Comment

Working...
                              X