Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential Customer - Any cable congestion issues in East York?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Customer - Any cable congestion issues in East York?

I am thinking of signing up for VMedia's 30/5 Cable package along with the TV service, however the complaints I see online regarding slow downs and congestion at peak time are making me reluctant to sign up. Most of the complaints I have read seem to be from users living in suburban areas, or smaller towns so I just wanted to know how the cable service does in the city of Toronto itself, and East York more specifically?

I am currently on ********'s 20Mb cable service and I get full speed even during peak times so does that mean that i would get full speeds at peak time with VMedia's cable, or does every company use different nodes/POI?

I know the obvious answer is to sign up and test it out for myself but I would like a little peace of mind before actually putting any money into it.

Second question, is it possible to avoid having a Rogers tech come to my place for the install? I am with ******** and also know enough to get everything up and running on my own once the service is activated. I figure I still have to pay the fee, but I don't want to have to wait for a tech to come by.

20M plan seems to be Cogeco. Old Rogers plan was 18/0.5 & 25/2
    If TSI and us schedule disconnect/connect on same day there would be no need to have Rogers tech come out but this never happens between 2 competitors. Moreover, we'll have to provide you with a free loaner modem for 2 weeks

Comment

Also, something to bear in mind - you may need to get a new modem, too, if yours is no longer supported.

Comment

Ah yeah you are correct I am on the 25/2 plan with ********. Also I have the DCM476 so it should be ok, though I wouldn't mind paying for a new one if it meant less down time.

Comment

we offer a free loaner and this process is very standard for our order procurement team. don't worry about that. DCM 476 is a good modem

Comment

Sorry, but I have a few more questions.

Just to clarify how would the sign up and activation process work if I want cable internet and tv service, along with the two months free with a VBox purchase from Canada Computers?

1) sign up for cable internet service and tv service online
            2) purchase VBox from CC and then activate it over the phone

or

1) sign up for cable internet service
            2) Buy VBox from CC and then sign up for TV service

Also, from the time I sign up online how long will it take to ship out the loaner modem, and get an install date?

I don't really need a tech to come to my apartment to check signals so is there a way to do the transfer without a Rogers tech coming up to my apartment? I already have ******** cable internet.

Comment

Purchase the VBox first, then sign up through the Canada Computers VMedia web portal. At some point in the sign up process you'll be asked for the mac address of the VBox. Two months free service will be applied.

When I signed up for my DSL account, my modem arrived about a week before the install. As far as getting a date VMedia is at the mercy of Rogers, But you'll see available dates when you sign up, it's just it'll take time to confirm your preferred date.

Not sure about the installer though. If you where with Rogers I don't think you would get a visit, not sure about ********.
              Last edited by giggabotch; 11-14-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

you can sign up thorugh canada computers or the vmedia wevsite,, as long as you bought the vboxes from canada computers then u automatically get the 2 months free (done it twice now)

rogers will send someone out no matter what (probably to justify that $99 mandatory service fee charged)

the last vmedia account i setup, was with bell... (i was already on bell) i made the appointment and waited 4 hours for them to show up... but they did not... didnt matter cause it worked the second i put the user/pass into the modem, days before installation date.
                but bell got free money without having to do a thing.. yet another reason to leave bell

my modem was sent to me via canada post, it arrived at my door within 48 hours of placing online order.. very fast..

for internet service.. appointment time was about a week and a half to two weeks
                for TV-vbox (if you already have vmedia internet) its instant, the second u hit pay-now on the website, its active

phone is about 2 weeks too.. regardless of whether u have vmedia internet or not (im still waiting for phone.. on two accounts

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. I'm currently waiting for my install date which is in a couple of weeks.

I'm just wondering now when I should cancel my ******** cable internet service - before the install date or after the install date. Kind of tough since they give 3 possible install dates.

Comment

Working...
                  X