Various questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various questions

I have some questions regarding the service: - can one change programming packages at any time? - what about upgrading Internet speeds from say DSL 25/10 to 50/10. Is there a charge? - is TMN go available for subscribers - which is better DSL or cable internet for the TV service? - can the Vbox run well via wifi? Does it support 5GHz? - can one pause Live TV? - we only watch news, the Food network and movies. No sports. So premium is not needed but is the only one with a two month free promotions. Can this be applied the Basic? - will the Vbox support Android TV and hence a better Netflix? - can the Vbox use cable to connect to the modem. We are on Fibe TV (50/10) and that is how one box gets its signal. Otherwise it would have to be wireless which is a concern. - is the TV signal as reliable as Fibe TV? Thank you...philip

- can one change programming packages at any time?
    Yes, and you can do it online, and is immediate.. however cancelling in between billing cycles only reflects on your bill if you cancel before bill is due

- what about upgrading Internet speeds from say DSL 25/10 to 50/10. Is there a charge?
    this is from Vmedia faq page:
    Cable - Can I change my speed plan after I have signed up?
    Yes, you can change your cable plan to a higher or lower speed plan that is available. There is a one time $10.00 fee to make a change to your cable plan.

- is TMN go available for subscribers
    Yes it is

- which is better DSL or cable internet for the TV service?
    both are perfectly fine as long as your connection is fast enough for the TV streams on Vboxes (5mbps per HD TV stream).. they say 6mbps minimum for 1(might be cutting it close), but 15/1 will be perfectly fine for 1-2 vboxes, 25/10 and up for more vboxes (i have run 4 vboxes, all on HD channels with not problems and still gotten great internet speeds on my computers (im on DSL 50/10)
    however on a personal note, i would recommend DSL, seems to be more consistent in some cases than cable

- can the Vbox run well via wifi? Does it support 5GHz?
    Yes, ive run two at a time plus wifi on my computers and it runs fine,, but wifi is iffy due to interference from uncontrollable sources, like other wifi sources/neighbors, walls, electrical interference etc.. i would recommend hard wire of possible, it works great here, and maybe at your house too, but your home may be different

No, no 5ghz, only 2.4 G or N

- can one pause Live TV?
    Not yet, but ask in a week.. they are about to beta test this option, check forums for more up to the moment details

- we only watch news, the Food network and movies. No sports. So premium is not needed but is the only one with a two month free promotions. Can this be applied the Basic?
    im sure it can, but why not just do the premium basic for 2 months anyways, its free regardless, and drop to basic at the end of 2 months

- will the Vbox support Android TV and hence a better Netflix?
    Yes as long as the app supports the firmware version (4.2 at the moment) it will support any android app

- can the Vbox use cable to connect to the modem. We are on Fibe TV (50/10) and that is how one box gets its signal. Otherwise it would have to be wireless which is a concern.
    No, i know how fibe is setup, using coaxial cable to main box then wireless from there to the other boxes.. the Vbox uses only wifi or direct lan cable (ethernet cat5e-6 wire) to the modem/router directly

- is the TV signal as reliable as Fibe TV?
    reliable? yes i think so, it is different, there are still differences, like 1080p HD not available yet and fibe has more channels to choose from at this particular moment in time (they are adding more all the time) and the odd small glitch every so often... every few weeks/months or never... kinda random, but small enough to go un-noitced too,, so not a big deal

the price far outweighs any benefits fibe may appear to have

for the Record, i do not work for Vmedia, i am a customer like everyone else, i have been here for 3 months
    hope this helps
    Last edited by Sarum; 11-09-2014, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info. We currently use Fibe TV (50/10) which works great but we don't really look at a lot of channels ( essentially Food, CBC/CTV news channels and movies. Literally nothing else). So we have all these channels which populate the guide. It's annoying. Ideally we would have under 10 channels and that would be that. It's a psychological thing. The modem that comes with Fibe TV ( Sagecom) puts out Ethernet over coax ( HPNA). You can get an adapter from coax to Ethernet and actually plug in a laptop and it works. That is what I was hoping for with the VBox. Unfortunately getting wired Ethernet to the kitchen is difficult and I worry that wireless is just not as reliable. 720p is more than fine for us. Heck, am ok with widescreen 480p. Just care that things are 16:9 aspect. The cost for Vmedia would in fact be less, though not that much less if you add in the cost of equipment, installation. If it weren't for the wireless thing, as well as the unknown Android TV state, it would be very, very tempting. Heck, it still is but I wish we could try it to see if it would be suitable. We actually are quite happy Fibe TV customers, but I really find Vmedia's philosophy very appealing. Thanks again, Philip

Comment

Originally posted by pmcd View Post
        ...The modem that comes with Fibe TV ( Sagecom) puts out Ethernet over coax ( HPNA). You can get an adapter from coax to Ethernet and actually plug in a laptop and it works. That is what I was hoping for with the VBox....
        i didnt know this, i too have a sagcom from bell running,, so yes you can run the coax to lan adapter, and you can use the sagcom router

Comment

Working...
        X