Trial possible? Android TV (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial possible? Android TV (again)

I am sure I am not alone in being tempting by Vmedia but am reluctant to jump off a cliff without a parachute! Would it be possible to test drive the product using our current Fibe TV Internet. So, I guess the idea would be to have a week trial with a VBox connected to out internet (50/10). That would make it a lot easier to convince reluctant wives for instance to go with what is a very interesting product! I have asked this already but now there is an official Android TV and it would be nice to know if the VBox is Android TV certified, or will be certified? Philip

obviously i cant speak for vmedia,, but i know what they will say

you can run vbox with any app on your own internet connection, including netflix, XBMC and android TV as long as it is able to be installed on your version of android vbox (4.2 on the latest vbox)..

however, you will not be able to test drive the regular TV, because of the way it is setup... vmedia caches regular TV programming on their server, so they can burst it directly and without lag to their vboxes.. so if your on another ISP, you will not get priority on their TV stream and will most likely lag..
    they are not alone,,, Bell does exactly the same thing with their fibe... you would not get fibe consistency or quality if you were on vmedia internet, nor would they let you.

if you are on DSL and have a compatible modem, their is a chance they may set up a temp ISP connection for a day or two to test it.. but no idea if they can do this or not.

hope this helps

Comment

i am not familiar with android TV, but i have seen it mentioned, so i was looking it up
      looks as though it is its own set top box, but i could be wrong,, i tried looking up android TV apps,, and i got all the apps that vmedia vbox comes with,,, google movies, netflix etc..

i was looking here:

according to this site, it is a new launch of a set-top-box made by google called, android TV, it comes with all sorts of apps, that are also available on vbox
      if this is it, then no,, vbox will not, can not be android TV,, and yes, vbox can do all the apps android TV does now.

if anyone knows more about this or has a better site to look up about this, or can shed more light and/or correct me,, please let me know..

Comment

Originally posted by pmcd View Post
        I am sure I am not alone in being tempting by Vmedia but am reluctant to jump off a cliff without a parachute! Would it be possible to test drive the product using our current Fibe TV Internet. So, I guess the idea would be to have a week trial with a VBox connected to out internet (50/10). That would make it a lot easier to convince reluctant wives for instance to go with what is a very interesting product! I have asked this already but now there is an official Android TV and it would be nice to know if the VBox is Android TV certified, or will be certified? Philip

We can not do it. Not because we don't want to offer you a parachute but because we are not allowed by our contracts

Comment

An example of an Android TV is Google's Nexus Player. The apps are designed for a larger screen and it supports Chromecast. It is a souped up Chromecast with built in apps. You can think of it as a successor to Google TV. It runs Android 5.0. There are quite a few reviews of the Nexus player around and googletvforum.org talks quite a bit about it. Philip

Comment

In another thread they said they would investigate Android TV for future devices once they had access to the code base, until then the VBox is based off of Android 4.x.

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post
              We can not do it. Not because we don't want to offer you a parachute but because we are not allowed by our contracts
              Ok, then could one rent the modem, VBox and then upgrade to buying them after a week? Philip

Comment

You can rent both. You would be able to convert to a purchase at the end of the 1st month

Comment

Some Canada Computers have a VMedia display with a TV set up with the VBox. You could always test it out that way if there's one near you.

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post
                    You can rent both. You would be able to convert to a purchase at the end of the 1st month
                    Would that mean returning them, re installation, etc ... Or would the $60 deposit be applied to the purchase? The main reason for all of this is our kitchen TV which is the most used is currently using Fibe TV and there is coax to the settop box. The Sagecom modem supplies an IP address to it as it delivers ethernet via coax. With the VBox we would either have to go wireless ( and that is the big unknown) or have a coax to ethernet adaptor to the VBox assuming VMedia supported this ( which I doubt). Wireless is yet another possible stuttering source and that is what is a big negative ( even though everything is wireless N the VBox does not support the 5GHz band which is what works best for us), Philip

Comment

Would that mean returning them, re installation, etc ... Or would the $60 deposit be applied to the purchase? The main reason for all of this is our kitchen TV which is the most used is currently using Fibe TV and there is coax to the settop box. The Sagecom modem supplies an IP address to it as it delivers ethernet via coax. With the VBox we would either have to go wireless ( and that is the big unknown) or have a coax to ethernet adaptor to the VBox assuming VMedia supported this ( which I doubt). Wireless is yet another possible stuttering source and that is what is a big negative ( even though everything is wireless N the VBox does not support the 5GHz band which is what works best for us), Philip

You could use powerline adapters instead of going wireless. I imagine there's a power outlet where your TV is in the kitchen. VMedia sells them for $50 a pair.

Comment

You can apply deposit towards purchase

Comment

Working...
                        X