Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6mbps DSL - is this fast enough for vMedia HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6mbps DSL - is this fast enough for vMedia HD?

Hello Everyone,

Moving my ******** 6mbps DSL connection over to vMedia; is it fast enough for HD video?

yes for 1 TV... but not recommended... if you do anything else, like check email, or go on internet, or even auto functions like phone, ipad etc you may experience lag
    this also goes up depending on how many vmeadia boxes u have running at the same time.

i would say 10 at least and 15 or 25 recommended

im on 50mbps and have 4 boxes with two computers the kids are on all the time and have no problems.. barely use half of bandwidth allotted even at extreme times

if your not talking about vbox(vmedia TV box) but, watching HD streaming from websites, it may be even more bandwidth consuming depending on the compression format used
    Last edited by Sarum; 11-23-2014, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarum View Post
      yes for 1 TV... but not recommended... if you do anything else, like check email, or go on internet, or even auto functions like phone, ipad etc you may experience lag
      this also goes up depending on how many vmeadia boxes u have running at the same time.
      Do you know how many mbps a vMedia TV stream uses, I googled and it seems to be only 2mbps?

I have dual internet connections at home; I have a primarily 150mbps ******** cable connection, I am moving my backup 6mbps DSL connection over to to vMedia and thought it would be a good idea to add TV as well. Unfortunately in my neighbourhood, there's nothing faster than 6mbps DSL for some reason

Comment

ya, ive checked mine a few times but it rarely uses more than 2 to 2.7 for hd signal on my vbox... but that doesnt mean it wont... as the picture pixels increase along with speed of movement in the moview/show your watching, the steam size will go up... according to vmedia they said we need 6m allocated per box... an overstatement sure, but maybe not if you start watching some xbmc HD shows.
        also 2.5 mbps seems to be average.. it will spike and when it does your picture will freeze or get pixelated if it goes over 5

a 6mb connection seems to average closer to 5 or 5.5mb but can fluctuate

and if both fluctuate/spike you will get freezing pixelization problems.. which is BEYOND annoying to watch :-)

you may be fine, but in my opinion, too close to the limit
        try it out is all you can really do, the vbox makes an awesome media centre so you wont be out money even if you decide not to have the tv

Comment

Originally posted by coolspot View Post
          Hello Everyone,

Moving my ******** 6mbps DSL connection over to vMedia; is it fast enough for HD video?

I would not recommend DSL 6 for HD video. Depending on the actual distance from CO your speed may actually be lower than 6 and it's not something that would depend on us

Comment

Hello Everyone,

My mother is out in the sticks with only 6 Mbps DSL from VMedia. 95% of the time her TV is perfectly fine, but she'll occasionally get some lag.

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post

I would not recommend DSL 6 for HD video. Depending on the actual distance from CO your speed may actually be lower than 6 and it's not something that would depend on us
              Thankfully my DSL connection with ******** was pretty decent at around 5.7mbps, so I expect it to be roughly the same with vMedia.

Saying that, I do suggest that you put a a warning on your ordering page so users will be aware of the bandwidth requirements?

Originally posted by alexb View Post

My mother is out in the sticks with only 6 Mbps DSL from VMedia. 95% of the time her TV is perfectly fine, but she'll occasionally get some lag.
              ​Thanks for the re-assurance!

When watching vMedia, does the OSD display the current streaming bitrate?

Comment

I don't think it does but that would be a nice addition

Comment

Thankfully my DSL connection with ******** was pretty decent at around 5.7mbps, so I expect it to be roughly the same with vMedia.

Saying that, I do suggest that you put a a warning on your ordering page so users will be aware of the bandwidth requirements?

​Thanks for the re-assurance!

they put that as minimum req.. kinda like min specs orinted on windows 7 box... it will run on min req specs.. but its suggested u go above for optimum running

Originally posted by BladeZX View Post

I don't think it does but that would be a nice addition
                  ya i would love that feature too.... but unfortunately it would probably only appeal to us geeks :-)

Comment

Also it opens up a whole new can of worms on this forum

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Despite the chaos on the forums, my vMedia TV is working well (I've only been testing for the last 30 minutes).

In terms of speed, 6 mbps is plenty for HD TV; speed of the stream is 2.67mbps average, lots of overhead with a 6mbps connection. However, when the stream is running, my ping times hit 200ms+ - lots of latency which is strange since only 50% capacity is used.
                      Last edited by coolspot; 12-05-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X