Doing due diligence on whether I can become a vMedia customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing due diligence on whether I can become a vMedia customer

I'm a long-time BIG CABLE COMPANY customer. Used to have to say the same about Ma Bell too, but dumped them for VOIP years ago and have never, EVER, been happier. Now, I'm seriously thinking about cutting THE cord. Except I'm addicted to sports. Sports are the saving grace of the cable industry and the day the cable companies' stock craters is the day an internet company wins over a major sports broadcast franchise.

BIG CABLE COMPANY has done everything to make me an ex-customer, including doubling my bill over a few months period. Somebody discovered my grandfathered account and 'upgraded' it out of existence so the company could report a fraction of a fraction of a percentage point of higher profit to it's share-holders. Loyalty to customers who've been paying bills regularly for decades? Pfui. I want to be done with them. Looking to make this move is as much about revenge as it is saving money.

I've looked at vMedia for TV and Internet and believe I can get my sports channels, plus the main Canadian and American networks, plus a specialty channel or three, plus the Internet for roughly 33 dollars less a month than BIG CABLE COMPANY is capriciously charging me now. Next month, who knows? The one time charges that I can see, a vBox at the minimum, a DOCsis modem and installation fees do tote up to roughly $220, meaning moving to vMedia would mean those costs would be earned back over slightly less than 8 months. But if more hardware needs purchasing, then the profit turnover point moves further into the future. And it might.

In other words, it might still be a good purchase decision, but if the startup cost return on switchover takes more than a year, doubts begin to be created. Honestly, as the pay back point moves futher into the future, the worry over stability versus self-satisfaction only increases. So, some due diligence is required:

Internet up time has to be stellar. The legendary five 9's of Bell fame is too much to ask for. But three nines, 99.9 percent, which allows for a total of about three-quarters of an hour of down-time per month? The reason I need the Internet up 24/7 is that I'm a semi-invalid with no cell phone. Simply put, I need VOIP to be functional. (At the urgings of others, I buy year-long cell-phone contracts every now and then, but at the end of the 12 months--really 360 days as I was reminded by the last set of thiefs I did business with--when I've used about ten percent of the pre-paid minutes and the company claws back the unused money, I furiously cancel the phone. They couldn't do that with gift cards or even gift certificates, but the telecom industry has NO problem stealing money from emergency phone owners who don't text and browse on little five inch screens).

I'm a sports junkie. The game(s) have to be dependably available. I can live without PVR cuz I like the immediacy of watching and NOT having a pause button to take a bathroom break. It means torturing myself at times, but what is sports fandom if not self-inflicted torture? Games are obviously mostly played in primetime and that's the bandwidth hog heaven for the cable industry. Or is it the hell? Whatever. I've been through periods where BIG CABLE COMPANY had ... issues ... with delivering picture and sound in good quality. Didn't show up as a discount on the next bill, yet another reason I am so disaffected with BIG CABLE COMPANY? However, this forum's boards have left me sanguine regarding vMedia's ability to deliver when I want it. Am I wrong?

Things I've got now and would prefer something equivalent or better to come out of the switch: I have a main TV in the living room and a man cave on a different floor (troglodytes might actually call it a bedroom [G]). In the cave, I have a quad TV setup that makes Sunday afternoon football a delight to watch. Three of the TVs are analog. Currently, I can watch all four (a strip of three DIFFERENT MAKES over the main one, from yet a fourth company) without doing a lot of channel hopping with my Logitech remote control. I DO see commercials, but not all that often, as I divert attention from one screen to the next as play stops. I wonder how vMedia would cover my multi-floor, multi-TV watching. As I understand it, the vBox WOULD handle three TVs. But in one confined space? (I'm already preparing myself for losing the extravagance of that fourth TV) And I WOULD need a second vBox downstairs. Am I right? And what if I gave up TWO of the cave TVs, would one vBox cover the remaining three over two floors? Could you explain the process for how the optimal solution would work? For whatever it's worth, I have two DIFFERENT cables from BIG CABLE COMPANY coming in, one for each floor.

Is there any late night support? Even by email? I'm more nocturnal than not and work to my own schedule. Which means MY problems are after normal work hours for vMedia.

There's talk in the FAQs of thumbdrives. Will the equipment handle external drives in the terabyte size, or thereabouts? Does the encryption of the data prevent the use of any unused portions of that external drive for other purposes? Would power be an issue since many external drives require power from the base device? I can accommodate either model, but it would be good not to get surprised. (And I AM right about the encryption since the external data is play only on the originating device, right?)

Having been a loud and frequent complainer with BIG CABLE COMPANY, JUST how much trouble will they cause me in my defection to vMedia? They can't play their missed appointment trick because I WILL be here when they are. But are there other things I should be wary of?

I want to switch to vMedia. It is as simple as that. A year from now, I want to be as happy that I defected from BIG CABLE COMPANY as I was to tell that Bell salesman who charged me for, get this, an early termination fee (after four decades) for my home phone, "Send me the bill and then lose my number. I guarantee I will be blocking everything from Bell you ever send me again!" One of the happiest days in my life.

And don't we all need more happiness in our lives? Looking forward to the same conversation with whoever at BIG CABLE COMPANY calls me when they finally figure out that I WILL be leaving and nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will keep me within their harm's way. I'm smiling now just thinking about that moment.

PLEASE make me a vMedia customer!!

IP

PS: Thanks for reading this far. You passed the first test [g]

Originally posted by InterestedPurchaser View Post
    Internet up time has to be stellar. The legendary five 9's of Bell fame is too much to ask for. But three nines, 99.9 percent, which allows for a total of about three-quarters of an hour of down-time per month? The reason I need the Internet up 24/7 is that I'm a semi-invalid with no cell phone.
    Internet is usually up but speed wise depending on your region and method of connection it can be super slow during peak periods.

Simply put, I need VOIP to be functional.
    I would not recommend vMedia VOIP as your only telephone. It hasn't been the most reliable service.

Games are obviously mostly played in primetime and that's the bandwidth hog heaven for the cable industry. Or is it the hell? Whatever. I've been through periods where BIG CABLE COMPANY had ... issues ... with delivering picture and sound in good quality. Didn't show up as a discount on the next bill, yet another reason I am so disaffected with BIG CABLE COMPANY? However, this forum's boards have left me sanguine regarding vMedia's ability to deliver when I want it. Am I wrong?
    Expect problems. If you don't encounter any then you'll be mildly pleased even if your team loses

I wonder how vMedia would cover my multi-floor, multi-TV watching. As I understand it, the vBox WOULD handle three TVs. But in one confined space? (I'm already preparing myself for losing the extravagance of that fourth TV) And I WOULD need a second vBox downstairs. Am I right? And what if I gave up TWO of the cave TVs, would one vBox cover the remaining three over two floors? Could you explain the process for how the optimal solution would work? For whatever it's worth, I have two DIFFERENT cables from BIG CABLE COMPANY coming in, one for each floor.
    While I am not an expert, I don't believe the vBox could handle streaming three different videos to three different screens. You would need a vBox for each television. While this is completely possible, the Internet speeds one might get may prevent this. You can buy up to five vBoxes for one account from my understanding so you could potentially do this. You'd need to run an ethernet cord from your router to your first floor and another to your special room upstairs. Using a switch you could then split the connection off for your vBoxes.

Is there any late night support? Even by email? I'm more nocturnal than not and work to my own schedule. Which means MY problems are after normal work hours for vMedia.
    10AM to 9PM I believe. No 24...

There's talk in the FAQs of thumbdrives. Will the equipment handle external drives in the terabyte size, or thereabouts? Does the encryption of the data prevent the use of any unused portions of that external drive for other purposes? Would power be an issue since many external drives require power from the base device? I can accommodate either model, but it would be good not to get surprised. (And I AM right about the encryption since the external data is play only on the originating device, right?)
    I have not attempted to use a an external drive. Maybe someone else has...

Having been a loud and frequent complainer with BIG CABLE COMPANY, JUST how much trouble will they cause me in my defection to vMedia? They can't play their missed appointment trick because I WILL be here when they are. But are there other things I should be wary of?
    They will make it painful but if you are lucky it won't be too bad. I found the actual switch occurred without a hitch for my Internet while VOIP was a little messy.

I want to switch to vMedia. It is as simple as that. A year from now, I want to be as happy that I defected from BIG CABLE COMPANY as I was to tell that Bell salesman who charged me for, get this, an early termination fee (after four decades) for my home phone, "Send me the bill and then lose my number. I guarantee I will be blocking everything from Bell you ever send me again!" One of the happiest days in my life.
    If you set things up right, there won't be an early termination fee if you wait out the 30-days. vMedia recognizes it (by asking you the cancellation date) and works with it to ensure the transition is smoother than not - at least that was my experience.

For the record, I don't work for vMedia though they seem like in general a great company to work for considering how open they are on these forums. Just my two cents.

Comment

Munzo,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my information request. I thought vMedia workers haunted these forums, especially the sales area. I guess I should wait for them to confirm your diagnosis. Unfortunately, the answers do not break in vMedia's favour. The VOIP I am using will NOT be vMedia's. I currently use CallCentric out of New York because that service has a two-factor call spam protection feature. There's the usual black and white list but there is also a challenge system that beats most robots, while allowing honest to goodness callers to (eventually) get through. The cost is quite reasonable and the peace and quiet from not getting adrenalized because the phone rang (even once, which was how the Call Centric predecessor, Vonage, handled it via SMALL black lists). I have my issues with CallCentric and the minute Yak.com or somebody of that ilk implements the two-factor spam protection I'll switch. But I'm not anxiously awaiting the moment I can switch away from that CallCentric.

I do have my own ATA, a cisco box, for handling the phone network within the house. As you can tell from my posts, I talk a lot.

Cabling won't be an issue. It's mostly already done. My hardware guy could finish off anything extra that I might need. I was sort of hoping the android app controller(s) would have specific vBox addressing, allowing me to directly address a specific vBox when switching channels. I know it's REALLY old school, but I've intentionally bought different model tv's over the years just so the remotes don't clash. After a few decades, you become set in your ways. I do live alone, so only one floor or the other will be on view at any given time. Although there's the odd occasion when my brother would be visiting and would be downstairs watching TV while I was upstairs watching something else. It's pretty rare though. I normally don't let Maple Leaf fans through the front door [G].

The forum is providing with all kinds of worrisome time-out issues, so I will bring the post to an end, having lost a few paragraphs. It's not impressive. I'm quite disappointed ... although, you know, this could be the BIG CABLE COMPANY playing spoiled brat with my conversations on an opposition forum. Is that possible? No ... probably not ...

Again, thanks for taking the time. If vMedia wants to chime in here, I'm still looking at making a change, if the technical hurdles aren't insurmountable.

IP

Comment

Recently converted to Vmedia a couple of months ago, for many the same reasons as you, also primarily for the sports. I have no association with VMedia except as a customer.

They are going through some struggles right now with the introduction of their PVR service but before that the TV service was quite solid and they have been generous with adding channels to their service without upping the price. Expect it will be solid again once they manage to resolve the current issues.

Long story short, the video quality is reasonable and perfectly watchable but not equivalent to Big Cable. Frame rate is somewhat less than 24 fps so fast moving sports like hockey are a bit jittery. It's like watching a good quality streaming service, but falls slightly short of real TV. But it is good enough for me given the savings.

I have the 30 Mbps cable service and it has been fine for me, no issues.

By the way, you should consider Speakout as your wireless solution. A $25 top up lasts a full 365 days and they are on the Rogers network so decent coverage. It is an ideal emergency cell solution (but does not work in the US).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jgroves View Post
          Recently converted to Vmedia a couple of months ago, for many the same reasons as you, also primarily for the sports. I have no association with VMedia except as a customer.

They are going through some struggles right now with the introduction of their PVR service but before that the TV service was quite solid and they have been generous with adding channels to their service without upping the price. Expect it will be solid again once they manage to resolve the current issues.

Long story short, the video quality is reasonable and perfectly watchable but not equivalent to Big Cable. Frame rate is somewhat less than 24 fps so fast moving sports like hockey are a bit jittery. It's like watching a good quality streaming service, but falls slightly short of real TV. But it is good enough for me given the savings.

I have the 30 Mbps cable service and it has been fine for me, no issues.

By the way, you should consider Speakout as your wireless solution. A $25 top up lasts a full 365 days and they are on the Rogers network so decent coverage. It is an ideal emergency cell solution (but does not work in the US).

Hope this helps.
          J.,

Appreciate you taking the time to participate in this thread. I'm interested in the video quality report. It is appearing that a multi-vBox solution is going to be required for the switchover and I am going for the 60/10 plan. i wonder if that would abate the problem? There's still the issue with multiple vBox controllers, probably through the android app. I'd REALLY like to keep at least three TVs upstairs going as well as having the downstairs option. Although, it's been a long time since that TV was actually used. My brother doesn't visit all that often having moved north (to get away from me at last report [G]). I COULD see my way to sacrificing that one, but again, having it would be worth the 75 bucks. I eat meals down there on occasion. So, i think I have to have maybe 4 vBoxes. Which pushes the make back point into the middle of the second year. As long as the control issue is resolved.

Ahhhh, conundrums. I still want out from the BIG CABLE COMPANY, although there HAVE been small attempts to move the needle back in their direction. They decided my raised price now merits capless bandwidth. Me being an almost-50-year customer and all that. PLUS, my rates are now in place until the end of the 2016 year when my account officially goes golden 50 ... this from a company that loadly proclaimed no more contracts for tv/internet, just like they told me there was no retention department anymore. I hate being treated like I'm the fool at the poker table. Creates resentments that are different, albeit the same intensity as the feelings of disloyalty and being taken advantage of, towards those that make me feel that way.

And with my eyesight, there's lots to be said for good enough [G]. Still, all of this testimony is most interesting.

Switching to your suggestion re: Speakout. I HAD a Speakout phone. And I found it failed to work when it finally was needed as an emergency phone. There's a word for that kind of technical malfeasance, but no reason to repeat it here. I also found the whole website back then to be useless. I had to actually show up in person and there was only one store in the town ... way over on the other side of town. Problematic equipment, being treated like the schoolkid told to report to the principal's office, where they don't actually KNOW what they are doing ... I left them behind. But a quick look at the site seems to have eliminated the visiting hurdle (which WOULD kibosh the deal). I really can't get a handle on just what the deal is. I get that I can buy a hundred bucks (or even less), use it and buy more. I can CHOOSE to treat it like a monthly plan and send in a top-up dollar amount each month, which in my case would be five bucks tops, zero in most months. So, assuming the equipment held up, that sounds like EXACTLY WHAT I AM WANTING!! But something doesn't feel right. Maybe it's the feeling I won't be ablt to use better hardware that I NOW own to run their sim cards. Maybe it's just the purveyor giving me worries that things WON'T work when it was needed, as it once was. Granted, I now use the phone for taxi calling semi-regularly meaning leaving a phone on the charger unused for the better part of a year won't cause some sort of major malfunction. My thoughts about this swirl too.

But, it's the closest thing to a Christmas miracle yet. I get to resolve the issue with my friends of not having emergency equipment. And I get not to think bad thoughts about the WHOLE Canadian telecom industry. Makes going postal an every further away thought.

Thanks again. I hope you and yours are having the best of Holiday Season and best wishes for a Happy New Year. (You too Munzo, if you are looking. Apologies for not wishing you and yours Christmas Cheer in my previous response).

IP

Comment

Working...
          X