Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving, looking at switching to VMedia; a few questions

Hi,

I'm currently a ******** cable Internet customer, and I'm looking at switching to VMedia rather than moving my ******** service. I just have a few questions first.
    1. I've always had intermittent speed issues with ********, worse again the last couple of months. I see lots of complaints online about intermittent VMedia speed issues too, both on cable and DSL. How do your capacity/speed problems compare? Since your network is so much newer, are you able to more quickly add capacity as you grow?
    2. I'm moving into a building with Fibe available. Does that mean VMedia FTTN is automatically available as well? If so, is it the no-brainer choice? Any capacity issues there, now or ever?
    3. What's the actual deal with PVR functionality? I see it's "coming soon," but I also see you've missed a number of promised dates already, and just launched a big firmware update this week without it present… my girlfriend isn't very keen on a TV service without PVR, so what's the holdup? Licensing, tech problems, something else? How soon will "soon" be?
    Thanks!

The consensus seems to be that PVR is coming on March 27th. As for FTTN - there are capacity issues with VMedia's DSL from time to time, as they seem to be growing much faster than expected. I think the last capacity boost was just last week.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronadams View Post
      Hi,

I'm currently a ******** cable Internet customer, and I'm looking at switching to VMedia rather than moving my ******** service. I just have a few questions first.
      1. I've always had intermittent speed issues with ********, worse again the last couple of months. I see lots of complaints online about intermittent VMedia speed issues too, both on cable and DSL. How do your capacity/speed problems compare? Since your network is so much newer, are you able to more quickly add capacity as you grow?
      2. I'm moving into a building with Fibe available. Does that mean VMedia FTTN is automatically available as well? If so, is it the no-brainer choice? Any capacity issues there, now or ever?
      3. What's the actual deal with PVR functionality? I see it's "coming soon," but I also see you've missed a number of promised dates already, and just launched a big firmware update this week without it present… my girlfriend isn't very keen on a TV service without PVR, so what's the holdup? Licensing, tech problems, something else? How soon will "soon" be?
      Thanks!
      Originally posted by wearysky View Post
      The consensus seems to be that PVR is coming on March 27th. As for FTTN - there are capacity issues with VMedia's DSL from time to time, as they seem to be growing much faster than expected. I think the last capacity boost was just last week.

Pretty much this, if your building has fibre optics support, check this ISP, they resell VMedia's TV services. If they are available in the building you're moving into, this would be your better choice. They offer VMedia services for TV so you should be good to go.

If *********** is not available, any building with Bell Fibe service should in theory work with VMedia's VDSL services (that's what Fibe really is, it's VDSL) and the last capacity upgrade was on March 6th according to leshka.

deltatux

Comment

I have very fond memories of the 50/50 connection I had years ago; here's hoping *********** or similar becomes available to me!

Good to know that FTTN/Fibe are "just" VDSL, and good to know PVR is still "soon." I'll likely wait for it to become available, and then buy a Vbox and get it going.

So then I guess my last question is, cable or DSL? I own a DOCSIS 3 modem, currently active on ********; if it were you, would you move the ******** service and then switch to VMedia, cancel the ******** service and then sign up afresh with VMedia, switch to DSL to avoid the loaner modem situation…?

Comment

I have very fond memories of the 50/50 connection I had years ago; here's hoping *********** or similar becomes available to me!

Good to know that FTTN/Fibe are "just" VDSL, and good to know PVR is still "soon." I'll likely wait for it to become available, and then buy a Vbox and get it going.

So then I guess my last question is, cable or DSL? I own a DOCSIS 3 modem, currently active on ********; if it were you, would you move the ******** service and then switch to VMedia, cancel the ******** service and then sign up afresh with VMedia, switch to DSL to avoid the loaner modem situation…?
          makes very good sense to move with Cable and use own modem...transition will be much smoother and cabis smooth connection for the streaming and less drop in bandwidth...i use a router and am using a Ooma device and connecting Vbox wirelessly all working very well

Comment

DSL is all about how close you are to your local DSLAM (only way to find out is to call). Normally if you can't generally get good DSL speeds at your current location, best to stick to cable. Since ******** is a TPIA, you'll be charged the full $65 for installation (CRTC rules). Just use your own DOCSIS 3.0 modem, just make sure it's already compatible with VMedia and it will get activated with the service.

deltatux

Comment

FYI, I ended up taking six months free with Rogers while waiting for an alternative provider to become available in my building – it turns out the new building is fibre-only, and therefore alternative DSL/cable providers are not currently available to me. The only third-party service I've found so far that would be compatible with our building is ***********, though we need the building to be hooked up before we can sign up with them.

Comment

FYI, I ended up taking six months free with Rogers while waiting for an alternative provider to become available in my building – it turns out the new building is fibre-only, and therefore alternative DSL/cable providers are not currently available to me. The only third-party service I've found so far that would be compatible with our building is ***********, though we need the building to be hooked up before we can sign up with them.
                wow enjoy the raping they are going to give you.

Comment

Working...
                X