Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad to be leaving VMEDIA!!....but it wasn't meant to be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad to be leaving VMEDIA!!....but it wasn't meant to be.

I've been a customer since Oct 2013. Let me start of by first saying for the most part I've really enjoyed the companies philosophy and I really respected what they were trying to accomplish. Over the years I've referred countless friends and family members. Most of which also agreed that the IPTV had great potential and the unlimited internet was a great value for the masses. Both of which services don't seem to fall into that category for me anymore.

The IPTV was a great idea in theory but... Let's be honest
    -it's not reliable at times.
    -the vboxes, both of which I purchased old and new style are glitchy, slow to respond at times.
    -frustrating firmware updates, one of which almost bricked them.. December. Let's not go there, everyone knows how brutal and massive a mess up that month was. While I appreciate the free channel packages that were offered in compensation that didn't go far enough to credit most of us for what we missed out on for that month of December.
    -the channel quality has never been perfect either, especially with live sports. I'm not sure what you call it where the image looks slightly blurry or ghosty but I never experienced that with satellite or the dreaded cable providers boxes.
    -sound sync issues, frustrating as all heck. Especially when wife is sitting beside you saying this was your idea, you said that this was a great idea...
    -IPTV needs work at vmedia, hence all the updates and changes that they are making, maybe in a few years it will be great, but right now it's not and the prices are no longer in line with value of service.
    -a startup like Vmedia shouldn't have so many growing pains IMO but they did and still do.
    -I also understand the companies frustration in trying to do what they want but having to compete with the incumbents is a massive undertaking. Your prices cannot be inline with theirs because at the end of the day your service is no where close to being as reliable and rock steady as theirs. Now that your prices are inline with the incumbents, you've lost me...

I could go on and on about this as well as the cable internet downloads speeds and what feels like throttling during peak times but are probably just bandwidth capacity problems. Even with the recent upgrades I always see a drastic reduction after 8 pm. Prime downloading, streaming, online gaming times.

Everyone on here knows what I'm talking about and have all experienced the same things, anyone who says otherwise is a DSL/Vmedia fanboy. Lol

I've been dreading cancelling....I spent a lot of money on equipment and I feel like I fell hook line and sinker with all the promises of improvements and upgrades to tv service and download speeds, but still to much room for improvement for my liking after more than 17 months of service.. Wish it wasn't this way but it is. I had high hopes for Vmedia...Time to move on though. Cancellation is scheduled for March 16.

I hope that they can get it together and prices don't increase anymore, if that happens I would defiantly consider coming back. I wish everyone all the best and hope things continue to get better for those of you who continue to support Vmedias vision and growth.

Thanks for the speed boost! I owe you one.

Comment

I've had there service since Febuary 27th and I have had no issues, there was some slow downs March 1st but the rest of the time I have been getting 29mb/5mb on Rogers Cable and the IPTV service has worked amazing very happy so far.

Comment

Sad to see you go, I know what you are talking about, I am getting quotes today to do the same. So many issues with Vmedia.

Comment

I am waiting on this update. If I have issues with it, I'll be gone. Too many promises and very little delivery.

Comment

what update are you waiting for?

Comment

Originally posted by sparky101 View Post
              I've been a customer since Oct 2013. Let me start of by first saying for the most part I've really enjoyed the companies philosophy and I really respected what they were trying to accomplish. Over the years I've referred countless friends and family members. Most of which also agreed that the IPTV had great potential and the unlimited internet was a great value for the masses. Both of which services don't seem to fall into that category for me anymore.

The IPTV was a great idea in theory but... Let's be honest
              -it's not reliable at times.
              -the vboxes, both of which I purchased old and new style are glitchy, slow to respond at times.
              -frustrating firmware updates, one of which almost bricked them.. December. Let's not go there, everyone knows how brutal and massive a mess up that month was. While I appreciate the free channel packages that were offered in compensation that didn't go far enough to credit most of us for what we missed out on for that month of December.
              -the channel quality has never been perfect either, especially with live sports. I'm not sure what you call it where the image looks slightly blurry or ghosty but I never experienced that with satellite or the dreaded cable providers boxes.
              -sound sync issues, frustrating as all heck. Especially when wife is sitting beside you saying this was your idea, you said that this was a great idea...
              -IPTV needs work at vmedia, hence all the updates and changes that they are making, maybe in a few years it will be great, but right now it's not and the prices are no longer in line with value of service.
              -a startup like Vmedia shouldn't have so many growing pains IMO but they did and still do.
              -I also understand the companies frustration in trying to do what they want but having to compete with the incumbents is a massive undertaking. Your prices cannot be inline with theirs because at the end of the day your service is no where close to being as reliable and rock steady as theirs. Now that your prices are inline with the incumbents, you've lost me...

I could go on and on about this as well as the cable internet downloads speeds and what feels like throttling during peak times but are probably just bandwidth capacity problems. Even with the recent upgrades I always see a drastic reduction after 8 pm. Prime downloading, streaming, online gaming times.

Everyone on here knows what I'm talking about and have all experienced the same things, anyone who says otherwise is a DSL/Vmedia fanboy. Lol

I've been dreading cancelling....I spent a lot of money on equipment and I feel like I fell hook line and sinker with all the promises of improvements and upgrades to tv service and download speeds, but still to much room for improvement for my liking after more than 17 months of service.. Wish it wasn't this way but it is. I had high hopes for Vmedia...Time to move on though. Cancellation is scheduled for March 16.

I hope that they can get it together and prices don't increase anymore, if that happens I would defiantly consider coming back. I wish everyone all the best and hope things continue to get better for those of you who continue to support Vmedias vision and growth.
              Our prices are still 25% lower than their prices. In some cases it adds up to about $700-$900/year.

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post

Our prices are still 25% lower than their prices. In some cases it adds up to about $700-$900/year.
                Granted your prices may be lower than some, however I can receive comparable if not more reliable internet through another reseller "start communications" for the same cost as I pay now and tv service offered by **** direct has pretty much all the same basic package that you guys offer for 39.99 with a value added HD package for additional 3.99 per month bringing my new tv pre tax price to 44.98 you cant tell me that your channel availability and service reliability is even close to theirs. Also they offer a free HD receiver. So really what used to be good Vmedia value went right out the window.

Comment

Right now I am on the 30/5 cable, Premium Basic (2 U picks), and home phone for $127 a month. I Just got back from Rogers with a quote. To get the 100/10 as advertised, basic TV (no premium channels), and home phone, after the three month promotional credit, it is $190 a month. Can't buy individual channels, just the usual package deals i.e. pay for channels you don't need and won't watch. There was also a $45 installation fee. I did not bother getting a quote for the channels I wanted. The Nextbox in the Roger's configuration is not capable of sharing content from my home server, so I would have to purchase some type of media player (or flash a custom ROM to old VBoxes). Also, the Roger's Nextbox is MASSIVE! 9" x 13" x 2 1/4" plus cables.

I agree with many of the posters about reliability and performance issues with VMedia. I am hopeful the next generation boxes solve much of that. I have found the service much more stable since more overhead was added.

I would also be fearful about what would happen with Roger's after the promotional 24 month period ended.

All that being said, I think Roger's is feeling the pressure from services like VMedia. Roger's has clearly lured away some customers with their new offering, and VMedia should be mindful of this going forward.

I will stick it out with VMedia, for now.
                  Last edited by BadDogTItan; 03-07-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Our channel availability and reliability is very close to them, but our ability to deliver it is only as good as Internet service is. We are very close to launching our direct Rogers TPIA and that will further shorten the gap between us. On the flip side our box does offer benefits over ****'s and this gap will continue to grow this year when we release new features and accessories. On top of that, if CBB rats are reduced by CRTC this year our ability to deliver higher wuality content will increase. And finally, our price change was mainly driven by usage and the fact that had keptour prices unchanged for 2 years. I am sure they will not keep those promotional prices for too long

Comment

Our channel availability and reliability is very close to them, but our ability to deliver it is only as good as Internet service is. We are very close to launching our direct Rogers TPIA and that will further shorten the gap between us. On the flip side our box does offer benefits over ****'s and this gap will continue to grow this year when we release new features and accessories. On top of that, if CBB rats are reduced by CRTC this year our ability to deliver higher wuality content will increase. And finally, our price change was mainly driven by usage and the fact that had keptour prices unchanged for 2 years. I am sure they will not keep those promotional prices for too long
                      Will a direct Rogers TPIA lead to a specific price increase for rogers cable internet subscribers?

Comment

No, it will not. We pay a margin to CIK now.

Comment

No, it will not. We pay a margin to CIK now.
                          Will a direct Rogers TPIA lead to a price decrease for Rogers cable internet subscribers?

Comment

And finally, our price change was mainly driven by usage and the fact that had keptour prices unchanged for 2 years.
                            You do realize that this is directly contradicts what George Burger was trying to peddle a little over week ago right?

Originally posted by GeorgeBurger View Post
                            We are very aware of the expectations of our subscribers, and the foundation of our business strategy is to not insult our subscribers' intelligence or take advantage of their good nature and support by engaging in unprofessional business practices.We were simply and suddenly confronted with a major bump in our internet costs, and knew we had to finally raise our prices, for the first time in two years, in March.

Comment

I dont see it contradicting anything. Usage is a bigger part of total Internet costs and it's gone up.

Comment

Working...
                              X