$25 Cable & Satellite Basic Cable CRTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $25 Cable & Satellite Basic Cable CRTC

Not sure if this will affect Vmedia and/or how good the $25 Basic packages will be. THIS JUST IN: CRTC to require cable, satellite companies to offer basic package with $25 cap, sources say.
    Click the link for details: http://www.am980.ca/2015/03/19/41569/

Saw this as well, I think it will affect vmedia to an extent, if all the basic plans are the same there is no reason to choose company A over company B. Where things will ultimately improve for vmedia customers is if the big two telecom companies are forced to un bundle certain channels, as of now vmedia is a leader in the pick your package field however there are certain channels that they have to bundle because big brother says so. If the changes to bundling occur (as rumoured) and vmedia can keep cost down it would be a win for independants, that being said I'm sure the big guys will start charging extreme rates to third party suppliers for individual channels making life difficult.

Comment

Don't think this would apply to VMedia cause it would never just be $25 cause you require an internet connection

Comment

Originally posted by agovereau View Post
        Don't think this would apply to VMedia cause it would never just be $25 cause you require an internet connection
        The additional price of the internet connection has got nothing to do with it, just like the additional price for the TV and electricity and the chair you sit in when watching TV has got nothing to do with it.

Comment

It means some of what I was hoping to see.

Basic will be just that... BASIC. ALL LOCALS, GOVERNMENT and Public/community Broadcasters, and that's IT! If you want GAME/TSN/VISION/E! etc. currently on basic, you will have to go to a different package/pay for it yourself! I think it will bring more choice, and will likely be a wash price wise for some, lower others. I hope to see more pick and pay options and customizable packs, but some will likely not do anything more but force you to take 20 channels to get 1. It will slow cord cutting, but likely not stop it. It's A-typical Canadian, no one will be happy, but we hit the middle ground approach the CRTC does.

Comment

My feeling is that vmedia's packages are going to have to come down in price, the price of the tv packages are not as attractive as they are right now, specially if the tv keeps on going down. I am sure prices will start to go down as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Info1

I think this is a double whammy... look this thread. Rogers dropped their pants on Internet, Now basic TV, which VMedia does have al a cart available now, but all in Rogers is starting to look more attractive.

Not likely. Rogers is too big to afford to lose money on anything. Just think about all that they own and have to maintain. Sure the price of skinney basic will be the same for everybody, but the channels that you want will be the profit centres for the BDU's. Rogers pick offerings will not be cheap.

Comment

I see in the recent e-mail that the package prices have gone up because of the sport packages - I DON'T WATCH THESE CHANNELS! Please Vmedia, I think you need to have two types of Premium Packages - one for Sports and one for News/Knowledge. If you could split the packages down the middle, it may appease two very different demographics.

Comment

Originally posted by coolspot View Post
                  I see in the recent e-mail that the package prices have gone up because of the sport packages - I DON'T WATCH THESE CHANNELS! Please Vmedia, I think you need to have two types of Premium Packages - one for Sports and one for News/Knowledge. If you could split the packages down the middle, it may appease two very different demographics.
                  This has been discussed in these forums ad nauseam.

https://forum.vmedia.ca/forum/news-an...ing-tv-service

This thread is discussing the outcome of CRTC's 'Let's Talk TV' and mandating of pick and pay and skinny basic for those like you who don't like 'subsidising' channels they don't want to watch.
                  All I can say is, be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Originally posted by Info1

All this is contingent on VMedia getting faster internet as per the post quoted above. Rogers is offering fast rates for cheaper than VMedia.

Let's see how this pans out.

m
                    Actually Vmedia is still cheaper for internet. The 60/10 plan with Rogers is $74.95, but it's capped at 200gb. Then 1.50gb after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank
                      You can get that same Rogers plan for $59 though, tax-in, Shomi included. Rogers has extensive leeway for discounts, particularly for existing customers trying to cancel. Just have to negotiate long and often enough. In the end, reseller prices aren't all that much cheaper than Bell and Rogers, it's just that resellers advertise the actual price whereas Bell and Rogers advertise excessively inflated prices that nobody really has to pay. It just makes seem like Bell/Rogers are so much more expensive.

This is exactly why I left Rogers. I got sick and tired of having to fight to pay a "fair" price for the value of the service I was receiving. If these price points are available, make them available to all and stop these "retention" plans. Having to argue on the phone days on end to keep the discounted price you had the previous year is tiresome. I'd rather a company just offer me the service at the best price they can afford to do so. No special discounts, retention plans etc.

Comment

That's why I left Rogers as well. I would get a promo, then it would be taken off my bill for no reason. Or they would go back on what they said. Each time you call Rogers you get told something different. It got to the point where I had to constantly monitor my bill. So really they owed me money for doing their job. I was tired of 2 hour phone calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank
                          You can get that same Rogers plan for $59 though, tax-in, Shomi included. Rogers has extensive leeway for discounts, particularly for existing customers trying to cancel. Just have to negotiate long and often enough. In the end, reseller prices aren't all that much cheaper than Bell and Rogers, it's just that resellers advertise the actual price whereas Bell and Rogers advertise excessively inflated prices that nobody really has to pay. It just makes seem like Bell/Rogers are so much more expensive.
                          Do you mean $59 tax in for unlimited? Still I couldn't run a server on my Rogers connection. They would never allow that.

Comment

Originally posted by marscounty View Post
                            That's why I left Rogers as well. I would get a promo, then it would be taken off my bill for no reason. Or they would go back on what they said. Each time you call Rogers you get told something different. It got to the point where I had to constantly monitor my bill. So really they owed me money for doing their job. I was tired of 2 hour phone calls.
                            Yup same here.

Comment

I think that's why a lot of people left the big guys. Fighting to keep your discount was just WAY too much of a pain in the butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X