$100 set up to switch from another ISP to VMedia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 set up to switch from another ISP to VMedia

I am a brand new user to VMedia, one replacement for the many that I have seen on this forum, fleeing away. I like the IPTV technology (VBox, VCloud, etc.) that VMedia is bringing to the table and would love to cut the cord to Robbers Cable and Bill Canada. I have seen some of the issues on this forum and am hoping that these have or can be straightened out. I am trying the Internet service and IPTV for 15 days.

I currently have FTTN DSL at 15\1 MBytes from another ISP. I have set up my own modem and everything is running fine. I think I can switch to VMedia by entering their PPPuser name and password into the modem, once I receive them. However, the VMedia sales person insisted that I needed to pay $100 to have the Bell guy pay a courtesy visit. (when I initially set up my FTTN, the Bell guy called to say that they had switched me to 15\1, which speeds I verified, and that he did not need to visit but would do so as a courtesy if I wanted) It seems to me that it is bad for your business to have potential customers pay $100 to switch to your DSL service. Or is this a Bell scam that you have no control over?

The other question I have is will you switch off my current ISP or do I have to call them. The sales guy did not take down the name of my current ISP although he does have my land line number so I guess they can track down who my current ISP is.

Thanks. Here`s hoping I will have a beautiful experience with VMedia.

It's a Bell scam, unfortunately.

Comment

Part of the requirement for having a new Bell DSL service activated is a mandatory installation. The fees associated with this activation are also determined by Bell.

Comment

You must call your current ISP to cancel and you need to provide the confirmation number to the Bell Tech doing the install.
        Bell does not enter your home.

All in, the cost was about $280 for me to switch to Vmedia. $99 for bell, $99 for the modem/router, and $69 for the Vbox + taxes.
        This was partially offset by the fact that going through Canada Computers you get 2-months of Premium Basic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizuno View Post
          You must call your current ISP to cancel and you need to provide the confirmation number to the Bell Tech doing the install.
          Bell does not enter your home.

All in, the cost was about $280 for me to switch to Vmedia. $99 for bell, $99 for the modem/router, and $69 for the Vbox + taxes.
          This was partially offset by the fact that going through Canada Computers you get 2-months of Premium Basic.
          I didn't have to provide any confirmation number when getting my VMedia install, but I was switching from Bell DSL to VMedia. Not sure if it's different if you're switching from a reseller to VMedia. And yeah, it sucks that Bell forces this charge us (when literally, the only thing that happened was I connected the VMedia modem, and the Bell tech confirmed "Yup, you've got a sync light"), but nothing we can do about it unless the CRTC forces Bell to stop charging this ridiculous fee.

Comment

We would provision service on a new dry loop (or an existing Bell landline if you have one). A pending cancellation request is not necessary to preform an installation/activation on DSL..

This differs slightly with cable. When doing a transfer (as opposed to a new installation), the underlying provider needs to see a pending cancellation at the address in question. This is where the cancellation number comes in. For DSL this is not necessary, and currently there is no transfer option available for DSL.

Regarding the cancellation with your previous ISP, you would need to make these arrangements yourself, as this is not something we would be able to facilitate on your behalf.

Comment

Working...
            X