Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching help ... modem not decommissioned

Greetings,

In a bit of a panic here ... with start.ca and the cogeco tech will be here in 1/2 hours. Problem is ... my modem hasn't been deprovisioned yet so I am still getting service from start.ca.

What do i do?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: should be deprovisioned not ​decommissioned
    Last edited by Gavin; 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM.

OK ... Cogeco guy has come and gone ... I still have a start.ca IP?

Comment

please contact support to have them look into it. Cogeco tech may need to do things on the back end to complete the installation.

Comment

Contact cogeco and ask them to deprovision? or contact your support?
        Last edited by Gavin; 10-16-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

not Cogeco, contact vmedia support

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post
            not Cogeco, contact vmedia support
            OK done deal! Hooked up the temp modem and am now with new VMedia IP. Yay!

Question though ... has my old modem been de-provisioned? Or does it do itself over the course of the 2 week loan period?

Yay and thank you!

Comment

your previous provide has to instruct cogeco to delete MAC. It depends when they do it. That's why we send loaners out to help people get over this bump

Comment

My brother went through the same when switching from TSI to VMedia and his modem was re-provisioned on the date expected while the loaner remained active up until his was good to go.

Comment

Not sure if they deleted the MAC address or re-provisioned it? Was working with start/cogeco and I simply hooked up the loaner ... anyway I can check?

Comment

The loaner will have been provisioned separately, Start/Cogeco need to release your other modem's MAC first, and then VMedia puts through the request for the MAC on your "owned" modem to be provisioned by date x. The loaner has already been provisioned so you should be good...I believe the incumbents require 10-20 days to deprovision/reprovision a modem which is why VMedia provides the loaner in the interim.

Comment

Something I don't understand ... does my old modem actually have to be physically connected via coaxial in order for it to be deprovisioned? I'm currently using Vmedia's loaner.

And also is it cogeco who is responsible for the deprovisioning even though I was with start.ca?

Thanks

Comment

No it doesn't need to be connected, basically Start puts a request into Cogeco to remove the MAC address from a database and therefore it is no longer linked to Start's DHCP pool for IP addresses. Once that is done when your deprovisioned modem connects, the CMTS gets the request/MAC and says "this modem isn't allowed on the network". Once VMedia's request goes through to provision it the MAC is added back in and linked to VMedia's DHCP pool for IP addresses. All this is accomplished without the modem ever being online .

Comment

Originally posted by Trentelshark View Post
                          No it doesn't need to be connected, basically Start puts a request into Cogeco to remove the MAC address from a database and therefore it is no longer linked to Start's DHCP pool for IP addresses. Once that is done when your deprovisioned modem connects, the CMTS gets the request/MAC and says "this modem isn't allowed on the network". Once VMedia's request goes through to provision it the MAC is added back in and linked to VMedia's DHCP pool for IP addresses. All this is accomplished without the modem ever being online .
                          Thank you for clarifying T-Shark

Will I be notified by Vmedia when it's time to plug in the old modem? Or should I just try it on the 2 week anniversary of Vmedia's ISP activation date?

Comment

I'm pretty sure my brother plugged his in on day 14 or 15 and the modem was active on the date promised. I don't believe any notification is sent out but I could be wrong since I haven't gone through the process myself.

Comment

no, they do it on the backend. Every time you plug a modem it syncs with their backend and if they make the change, modem will be with Vmedia on next boot

Comment

Working...
                              X