My experience with VMEDIA (thus far)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with VMEDIA (thus far)

As an adult working in the IT industry for over 15 years, I wanted to offer up my experience with VMEDIA over the past two weeks that I have been with them.
    I noticed that people (generally) only show up on this forum when they have a problem, grievance, or just want to release some frustrations about their service. For those looking in on the outside - this can be a bit off putting. What it is also is biased, or one sided. Generally people don't come here to say - wow that was great, or it's better than I imagined (there is the exception to the rule).

So here is my experience (Postal Code: K2G 6S_):
    • Cable Internet went in without a hitch, on the day it was promised, during the time window that was given to me.
    • I pay for the cable 60/10 service. I have been doing numerous speed tests throughout the day and I typically get between 52 and 54 Mbps down and between 8 and 9 Mbps up.
    • I also have the premium TV package with two VBOXs (with the external antenna). They are hard wired directly - not using wireless. So far, no major issues. Quality is very good on HD channels. Odd behavior on SD channels (Leafs TV for example) in the sense that it does not fill the top portion of the screen, but there is a button on the remote to resize the picture. Slightly annoying, but it works. One morning - TV was not working (explained in another thread what happened). Another evening on the RDS channel the picture froze, and then resumed, and then froze, etc.... The following day - no issues.
    • Not happy with the VCLOUD PVR - its not easy to work with - looking forward to client side PVR that is coming out (soon I think).
    I'll continue to update this thread as time goes on - but for those looking to make the leap... I am genuinely happy thus far. I am happy with my choice. I literally called Bell and dumped them two days ago. I was paying (after tax) $13X.00 for 25/10 DSL, with unlimited download.

At this juncture I would recommend VMEDIA to friends & family; and more importantly, to a complete stranger too.
    Last edited by Mapleleafguy; 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM.

October 29 2014.
    Just checking in - I have been with VMEDIA for about 3 weeks.

Overall happy with the service - some minor things pop up here an there with the IPTV - but nothing to make me upset or sorry that I chose VMEDIA.

Here an assortment of speedtests. The last being the latest taken tonight around 8:20pm. This is the slowest I have seen it. I did look at my router and factor in the current bandwidth that was already being downloaded. The kids are (at the time the test was running) watching netflix and IPTV. That accounted for an additional 9 mbps of bandwidth being used.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3869605774 (prime time + another 9mbps download currently running through my router)

Comment

I've been a customer for a few months now, and despite a few hiccups am happy with the services (IPTV, telephone). Even my wife who is not tech savvy, who was my biggest concern switching, is now glad we came to Vmedia. She is getting quite comfortable with navigating through the TV service. I would recommend this service to those who are considering leaving their mainstream carriers. Vmedia's services are incrementally getting better all the time

Comment

I havent really had a problem either ,..any time there have been small issues , they got on it & fixed it right away , been great to deal with so far & I have not experienced slow speeds

Comment

I have been with vmedia for 2 weeks now in the Durham Region area. I switched from rogers cable/internet. My transfer without a technician visit went perfectly. I have had no issue with my internet speed. I even just use vmedia over wifi without any issues on 3 different floors. My only regret was buying the TP-link powerline adapters as I have not needed them at all.

As mentioned by the poster above, Wife Approval Factor seems to be a big stumbling block for a lot of new subscribers. The addition of TLC has gone a long way in helping that, but a less fussy netflix client that works with the remote buttons would seal the deal for my wife.

Comment

Netflix controls the netflix app, nothing VMedia can do about that really. If you buy the new RF remote, netflix works better since you have a mouse pointer available to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw2085 View Post
              Netflix controls the netflix app, nothing VMedia can do about that really. If you buy the new RF remote, netflix works better since you have a mouse pointer available to use.
              I have the newer remote, and I realize that it is a netflix app issue, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a stumbling block for some users. I really love my vmedia setup, but one of my biggest disappointments is the netflix experience. Previous to this, I have used netflix on PS3, Wii, smartphone, and a Samsung BR player. The Vbox ties the samsung for the worst experience. The samsung will freeze half the time when first trying to launch and login to netflix but at least it would use the standard buttons and produce a better picture. The vbox playback quality is lower than even the wii client.

I almost had my my bro-in-law sold on vmedia, but like many others his wife is on the fence. Seeing what a pain netflix was, didn't not help sway her. I think that the netflix client is the second most important piece of the vbox, and if their is any way in the known universe to make those buttons work, they should make it happen. Where there is a will, there is a way... a lot of the time... with enough resources.
              Last edited by SteveW; 11-07-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

just tried netflix for the first time (only been with vmedia three days) and experience was awful; never did manage to get something to play, and with a very angry two year old wanting his Thomas and seeing it on the screen but unable to play was terrible...

Comment

what did not work?

Comment

unable to access the search function; once finally got to search, could highlight results (and their appeared to be a click upon pressing enter) but could not make them play; was not using a mouse and keyboard, just the pre-boxed remote from vmedia...also, with reference one of the above posts from the OP I also experience a nightly slow down of speed and signal quality. Looks like a switch is flipped about 7 PM till 11 PM ish and I go from actual plan speed or very close down to anywhere from 4 mb/s down to about 9 mb/s down upload is fine...I really don't want to switch to DSL simply for the hassle of trying to convince my wife I need to spend another 100+ on a new modem, plus installation and the hiccup in service, plus the dry loop fee etc. etc. and have to run cable etc. for the modem and router ....75% of the day zero issues; prime time Rogers flips the switch and my service suffers greatly during the peak hours we use it
                    Last edited by habsfan; 11-03-2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Netflix considers all set top boxes running android operating system as a tablet or phone..
                      using a USB mouse or keyboard solves the issue, or getting the updated vmedia remote.
                      netflix needs to make an app for set top boxes.. vmedia is not the only one.. there are dozens of others with the same problems
                      netflix is 100% to blame,, Vmedia 0%

we all need to keep in mind that Vmedia sells live Television channels, internet, and telephone... thats all
                      they do not sell netflix, xbmc or any other app you decide to download on their vbox

only reason we can watch netflix and other apps is because vmedia choose to use an android operating system with their box, they could of used a linux based closed source OS
                      i like some of the other apps.. like speedtest,, which also doesnt work without a usb mouse or newer remote.. there are many other apps that are hard to work with.
                      this forum is here for everyone to help each other, and although i dont expect vmedia to help me on things they dont control,, its nice to know there are people here that are more than willing to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarum View Post
                        we all need to keep in mind that Vmedia sells live Television channels, internet, and telephone... thats all
                        they do not sell netflix, xbmc or any other app you decide to download on their vbox
                        I politely disagree. Vmedia has netflix and you tube, and other apps, plastered all over their site, and selling themselves in part based on these services to entice new subscribers. And rightly so. One of the key selling features for me was the idea that I could bring TV, netflix, youtube and tune in radio to all three tv's in my house with one simple box and one hdmi cable. As a vmedia customer I want the best possible experience using my vbox. So when I point out that the netflix client is a weak point, and that it would be a lot better if it worked with the remote, I am not laying blame at vmedia, but trying to give them constructive feedback so they can continue to improve and evolve what I think is an outstanding product.

Steve W
                        VMedia Fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
                          So when I point out that the netflix client is a weak point, and that it would be a lot better if it worked with the remote, I am not laying blame at vmedia, but trying to give them constructive feedback so they can continue to improve and evolve what I think is an outstanding product.
                          Except, there's nothing that VMedia can do to remedy the problem, other than offering the new remote (which they have now done) and update the version of Android on the VBox to 4.3 or higher (for HD). Otherwise, they can't do anything about the Netflix client itself.

Comment

Another update (pardon the pun) - so the past 24 hours have been bad for TV, since my VBOX got an update. My download speeds are not the greatest at the moment on the down swing. I guess this is part and parcel with working with a startup. Assuming these issues are going to be resolved soon, I am still quite happy with the service. Hopefully this client side PVR is going to be a bonus and works well (currently in beta at the time of this writing).

Comment

OK - it has been a week or so since the last update for the VBOX. If anyone is looking to sign up for TV with VMEDIA - I would wholeheartedly say - WAIT. The experience is far from what it used to be and it is really annoying. I know via my tech support tickets they are working on it, but it won't be for another week as per JP:

Hi,

There are some bugs that we are working on to get fixed. ETA 1 week.

Sincerely,
                              JP
                              VMedia Support Department
                              VMEDIA

PS: Cable Internet speeds at peak hours are not the greatest.

Comment

Working...
                              X