Moving...need new modem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving...need new modem?

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while but I do read all the forums often. I'm moving two blocks away to new house, so I set up a move with vmedia. I originally purchased all my equipment from vmedia and I have no issues with service. Now that I'm moving, I was told my modem is not authorized and I had to purchase another one for $79.99 plus tax to replace my perfectly good working one. What's up with that? Customer service just says I can't use it anymore. Would be nice if someone could explain. If I do really need one, why hasn't anyone contacted me before this? I would love some reasonable answer please. Thanks!!

That's weird... I'm moving in a few days and can use the same modem. Are you on cable or DSL?

Comment

I'm currently on cable and getting cable again at the new house.

Comment

What modem do you have currently? Could be that the area of your new house doesn't support it.

Comment

Interesting. I have a Motorola SB6141. Is that what you're using? Did you buy your original modem from VMedia? I don't see why it would work at one location and not the other...

Comment

I have the Motorola sb6121 that I did purchase from Vmedia when I signed up..again it is working perfectly fine and I'm only moving 2 blocks away so I don't think it's the area.

Comment

Rogers no longer supports the 6121 for new signups. So even though you're just moving, it's considered a new sign up (I know). So while you are supported at your current address because support was grandfathered in, that will not be the case at your new place.

Comment

I'm also currently moving and am in the same situation you were in. I'd be interested to find out how/if your situation was resolved. I've been a subscriber since August 2013 and they refuse to move my grandfathered 25mbs/10mbs @ $45 per month after tax. They insist it's considered a "new account", so I have to pay the technician fee, buy a new modem (current one in use is no longer "supported" even though it's still being used). After waiting for a manager to contact me I called customer support on 3 separate occasions to explore options. The third time I spoke with some female CSR by the name of Kayd, ID #605 or something like that. She gave me so much attitude I almost cancelled my service on the spot. More specifically she questioned my visual capability, asking how I could not see their current offerings on their website and I, therefore, must be blind. I also discovered a manager follow-up was noted on my file without my actually receiving any contact/missed calls from anyone at Vmedia. I'm really unsure how to proceed as I don't see any incentive to stay with Vmedia, I can't believe I'm saying this but I may actually prefer paying for better service from somewhere like Rogers or Bell, I have never subscribed to their services and I'm starting to hear good things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ares255 View Post
                  they refuse to move my grandfathered 25mbs/10mbs @ $45 per month after tax
                  That's not really VMedia's fault though. If the incumbent doesn't support that plan for new sign ups (which is what you are as far as the incumbent is concerned), there's nothing VMedia can do about it. Same goes for your modem. If the incumbent no longer supports it, then you'd have to get a new one.

She gave me so much attitude I almost cancelled my service on the spot. More specifically she questioned my visual capability, asking how I could not see their current offerings on their website and I, therefore, must be blind.
                  That's inexcusable. Luckily they record phone calls and should be able to follow up on that.

I'm really unsure how to proceed as I don't see any incentive to stay with Vmedia
                  (Using Rogers as an example) Rogers is over 70% more expensive than VMedia for the 30/5 unlimited plan. $50 vs $87. That's over $440 in savings before tax over the course of a year, less the installation and modem. So unless you plan on moving again within the next year, that's your incentive.

Comment

Working...
                  X