Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAL FEEDBACK - Ottawa/Orleans AreA

Hey Everyone,

Moving to Ottawa in 2 weeks. I was hoping to get some feedback about Internet speeds and TV quality in the Ottawa/Orleans area. I currently have transferred my services with Robers and I'm not totally opposed to there service because the Internet speeds are always consistent and TV is solid. Any feedback to sway me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks VMEDIA community!

at this point, the only benefit would be; possibly $20-45/month. if that, since prices went up on the internet side. that said.. if you are not requiring the speeds you pay, not dependent for SOHO - I would say switch.. [ internet speeds tend to drop at 5PM and hit rock bottom at 8PM till 1145PM ]. Once again if you are not requiring max through put you will be fine. My Family seems to hang out on youtube and netflix on the iPads all day since the TV is hit and miss, even at half the internet speeds that I pay for, it is still fine.
    I do like the vCloud and PVR - plus XBCM option you have with the vbox.

Comment

I've been having really good streaming quality with my 15/1 DSL line. I use powerline ethernet mostly but from time to time return to wifi to see how it's behaving. I think TV wifi experience can come close to a wired experience with a transparent proxy capability from a firewall which (proxy) I do not have. Anyhow I find it has really good streaming quality. I'm not sure though if I'm seeing different video qualities (1080p vs 720p) from different channels. I wish the info button would show that info. Every now and then we'll see a 1/8th second pause or a audible dead spot. Not sure if that is my side or the stream just has this blip stitched into it. We've had the service for almost a year now and have experienced a few hiccups; a bad one about 3 weeks ago which was on VMedia's side. Some issues have been wifi related I believe. Others have been Cable Internet related; we have both access types for now. The VBox is directed to the DSL line. Everything/one else can use either/or through a multiwan router from TP-Link. For the Cable experiences I think the TV intermittent streaming issues have mostly been because of routable traffic through a couple of Rogers networks; one other and then on-towards VMedia's media servers. The DSL connection - it seems to connect into their network much closer to their media servers; at least for me it does and I think is why my streaming is smoother.

Comment

Last night perfect example TV was impossible to watch with the freezing snd choppiness.. I would of preferred choppy, it was more freezing. that said I ended up watch movies over the internet. Here is a perfect example it is 10 AM and my speeds are 7.5 by 2 and I pay for 45/4 - that is a problem since I work at home.

Comment

that would not make your tv unwatchable because we broadcast at 3 mbps. I offered you help at least 5 times by now. Are you enjoying posting on the forum instead of letting us try to help you?

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post
            that would not make your tv unwatchable because we broadcast at 3 mbps. I offered you help at least 5 times by now. Are you enjoying posting on the forum instead of letting us try to help you?
            Lets be honest with each other, as I mentioned to you previously.. fix it on your end first and once it has been. I will happily except a tech visit - at 8 PM when the big issues occur.. Not to mention you seem to think I am the only one with problems.. have you not read the forums? or are you just targeting myself for answering a question honestly ?

Comment

I want to fix it on your end so that your tv works regardless of 25 or 10 mbps. Your reports obviously have some additional issues. I am 100% honest with you and others. Please let me know the date when we could send a tech @8 pm to you. thx

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post
                I want to fix it on your end so that your tv works regardless of 25 or 10 mbps. Your reports obviously have some additional issues. I am 100% honest with you and others. Please let me know the date when we could send a tech @8 pm to you. thx
                PM sent with my info.. interesting that there is something that you can do more.. i am intrigued and willing.

Comment

Hi Tufarea, Not sure if you made a choice yet, but I have a 25/10 DSL internet service and TV with vMedia and have had very few issues with the exception of some issues with the TV service everyone experienced early/mid December, which vMedia has compensated us for. I have not had any speed slow downs or issues to speak of and all in all have been very happy with the service and even happier with the price!

Comment

Sradonic any update? Interested to know if the tech visit made a difference to you DL speeds?

Comment

here is my update: I signed up for the compensation that was offered - so that gives them 3 months to fix the issues they have.
                      I was never offered an onsite to fix my issues.. but a MattVmedia did call to address my concerns of - 'reconnecting' 'system rebooting' 'sound glitches' and ' slow internet speeds' will be addressed on vMedia's back end.. so i was okay with that explanation. - in the mean time TV viewing is expectable - back to pre dec 2nd days - meaning not amazing but viewable.
                      I have recommended it to 2 others friends and clients - but with the warning of the glitches and the bonus of up to $50 saving a month.
                      That said I am still the same as I was before.

Comment

If you are happy with robbers, stay with them. If you want to save money, go with Vmedia. Remember that you get what you pay for, inconsistent speeds during prime time that can really affect TV if you have other people using the internet for streaming in your household. I do not watch a lot of TV but I watch a lot of online streaming and it is OK, although the recent peaktime slowdowns are REALLY ANNOYING but they are supposedly working on it. I mainly stay with VMedia cause I support what they are trying to acheive and hope it changes the face of telecom in this country in which we all know is controlled by 3 wallet raping huge companies.

Comment

Well, i moved to one of the "3 wallet raping huge companies", after giving VMedia 4 months to fix my problems, or offer me some form of compensation for the lack of service. (They did neither).
                          However, they did manage to take their fee religiously from my credit card at the beginning of each month!
                          I now have a 60/10 package, which actually exceeds the speeds promised, and cable television.
                          And for a price that is nowhere near wallet-raping. The service level to get me up and running was exceptional, and all of my earlier frustrations experienced by unusable internet speeds for the past 4 months, are now non-existent.
                          I will continue to monitor these forums, to see how long it takes VMedia to address the issues they already knew about, but chose to stall customers over.
                          As it stands right now, leaving was the best decision.
                          I'm sure i will not be alone.

Comment

Working...
                          X