Vmedia charges tax on late fee's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmedia charges tax on late fee's

Vmedia is charging Tax on late fee's check your bills everyone.. this is unlawful according to the CRA website link below.

For instance... my bill monthly is 97.30 before tax. after late fee of $25 they charge tax on top of that for a grand total of $138.20 forcing me to pay an extra $12.35 per late fee. I would double check your bills guys I have challenged them before on this subject and they still charge me. And I quote.. " prove it to us. we are not refunding the money. We cannot find it on the CRA page. we have been told by our tax lawyers that we can charge this tax" yet on the CRA website it says you cannot charge tax on late fee surcharges.

Maybe you should pay your bill on time then.

Comment

Originally posted by logitecs View Post
      check your bills everyone..
      I can't. I'm a responsible adult and pay my bills on time.

Originally posted by logitecs View Post
      my bill monthly is 97.30 before tax. after late fee of $25 they charge tax on top of that for a grand total of $138.20 forcing me to pay an extra $12.35 per late fee
      Your math doesn't add up. Tax on $25 is not $12.35. It's $3.25. $97.30 is still taxable. At most $3.25 is what you're being "forced to pay."

Moral of the story is pay your bills on time or don't subscribe to a service you can't afford.

Comment

Regardless of whether or not it's responsible to pay your bills late (hey, everybody screws up sometimes, I've occasionally forgotten to pay a bill and gotten socked with a late fee), it *is* incorrect billing practice to charge tax on late fees, it's pretty clear in the link provided by the OP.

Having said that, OP, you've mustered up quite a bit of outrage over $3.25.

Comment

its not the $3.25 im pissed about. its the fact that they are blatantly breaking the law, and @ alexb.. I make 60k a year and yes i can afford to pay my bills just fine. ~how ever I get paid mid month. so before you go accusing me of being a person who doesn't pay their bills... why not do your arrogant behind a favor and stuff a sock in it?

Comment

This guy has no post history and provides no proof of what he says is true. I'm really getting sick of this forum being filled with baseless claims. It's getting hard to filter out who should actually be helped.

Comment

It's hard as a Mod to determine if he is an actual VMedia customer or not. If it was I'm sure threads like this would be deleted.. Considering it took him 2 months to respond, I'd just let this one die.

Comment

We are aware of multiple cases of non-customers posting on the forum. We have closed down forum for registered users only. Over the course of next 2 weeks we will integrate a process to link forum account to vmedia account

Comment

His link might be right, but his original math is terribly wrong. As others have pointed out, he's paying only $3.25 in excess HST. The other "overcharge" referred to is the HST applicable on the $97.30, which is correctly charged.

A far better return for your effort would be to manage your finances so that your cash flow matches your expenses each month. Regardless of what your annual salary is, if you're regularly paying late, you can't afford it. You're paying in excess of 25% surcharges, which means that if you pay late 4x you've paid an extra month per year. Hold back enough money from each paycheque to cover upcoming bills. Late charges are the most useless fee that a consumer can get caught with. As others point out, sometimes we screw up, but you need to eliminate screwing up if the late fee is in excess of 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw2085 View Post
                    It's hard as a Mod to determine if he is an actual VMedia customer or not. If it was I'm sure threads like this would be deleted..
                    Well, he posted from a Ciktel IP address... I don't know how the VMedia cable internet customers show up in the registration DBs, if they show up as VMedia or Ciktel (I know that my DSL IP shows up as VMedia)

Comment

Who cares ........

Comment

Working...
                      X