Compensation for March 10, 2015 blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation for March 10, 2015 blackout

Is vmedia going to offer compensation for the blackout? I know it's out of your control, but things have been going wrong for a while, customers are leaving, and I think it would go a long way for public relations.

They're a small company and don't think they can afford to give compensation for every outage that happens. If you were without TV for a whole day it will be $1.5 a day for premium basic... Or a bit more if you have more channels. Up to them if they want to spend time and money to give us all a 'coffee' discount

Comment

Over the last 35 years I was never compensated for service interruptions when with either bell or rogers. Maybe you should direct your request for compensation to cogeco, or better yet the driver of the vehicle who knocked out the service lines. Maybe file a class action law suit.

Comment

Yeah, I can`t say I agree with this idea. The December update was a catastrophic fail and it was all Vmedia`s fault- really bad planning and QC/QA practices. This circumstance however was completely out of Vmedia's control.

Comment

All that I am saying, you had a rate increase at the start of this month, pvr-gate in December. I am being blatant in my approach here, but if things don't improve I can see vmedia failing in 6 months to a year, it's a reality. I don't want to see it fail, when it works, it's not bad, but you have to keep your customers happy, and if things are failing on a consistent basis, your customers are going to leave.

Comment

Rogers and bell do compensate customers for outages, however it is up to the customer to ask for them on an individual basis. As a rule the big two do not simply credit everyone regardless of circumstances but if you call and say "I had no TV service for 24 hours on this date" they will issue a credit for that 24 hour period, most people just don't know to call and ask. Also you need to call tech support and report the outage when it happens so there is a service request history.
            Just FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBee007 View Post
              All that I am saying, you had a rate increase at the start of this month, pvr-gate in December. I am being blatant in my approach here, but if things don't improve I can see vmedia failing in 6 months to a year, it's a reality. I don't want to see it fail, when it works, it's not bad, but you have to keep your customers happy, and if things are failing on a consistent basis, your customers are going to leave.
              If you don't want VMedia to fail then don't ask them to refund money to people for circumstances that are completely out of their control.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainframer View Post

If you don't want VMedia to fail then don't ask them to refund money to people for circumstances that are completely out of their control.

apologies, but lately everything is out of Vmedia's control. Nothing is ever their fault. They take the money, they are our contact, so they need to own up and take responsibility. If I buy something at Wal-mart and it is defective, I go back to walmart and walmart exchanges it for me. Walmart doesn't give me an excuse that it was shipped that way, so not their problem. They fix the problem.

I am not saying that vmedia should give money everytime there is an outage, but if they want to be in business the excuses need to stop and vmedia needs to take ownership. I do not subscribe to cogeco, I subscribe to vmedia. If vmedia cant manage their own partners the vmedia shouldn't be in the business.

Every organization has to work with suppliers and partners, the difference is that if I contact a reliable organization they don't inform me that their supplier is at fault, they deal with the situation and deal with the suppliers outside of the clients view.

A good business can manage all the intricate relationships so that you deal directly with one organization, not pass the blame everytime there is an issue. When you are operating as a front line business you are responsible.

Next time you go to a restaurant and pay $200 for a crappy meal, don't complain it's not the restaurant's fault perhaps the supplier provided bad meat, or the recipe instructions from the chain were not clear, or the gas company didn't provide enough gas to the appliances............

Comment

Originally posted by kcruse View Post

apologies, but lately everything is out of Vmedia's control. Nothing is ever their fault. They take the money, they are our contact, so they need to own up and take responsibility. If I buy something at Wal-mart and it is defective, I go back to walmart and walmart exchanges it for me. Walmart doesn't give me an excuse that it was shipped that way, so not their problem. They fix the problem.

If I buy something from Wal-Mart and it doesn't work, I take it back to Wal-Mart. But if I drop it or it gets stolen, I don't complain to Wal-Mart. If VMedia releases an update that's full of bugs, I complain to VMedia. If a power station blows up and all the electricity goes out and my TV stops working, I don't complain to VMedia.

Comment

Originally posted by kcruse View Post
                    Your analogy doesn't really make sense. A more apt analogy would be that you buy something from Walmart, it's fine when you buy it, then you set it down in your driveway when you get home and a stranger comes along and runs it over, and then you expect Walmart to replace it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainframer View Post

If I buy something from Wal-Mart and it doesn't work, I take it back to Wal-Mart. But if I drop it or it gets stolen, I don't complain to Wal-Mart. If VMedia releases an update that's full of bugs, I complain to VMedia. If a power station blows up and all the electricity goes out and my TV stops working, I don't complain to VMedia.

That's a true statement, however I think with what happened on Sunday and Monday, had a lot of customers very upset to come home to no iptv and for some no Internet and for the unlucky people that have phone system through Vmedia as well I understood the frustration of the situation...... With no public statement till late in the outage. After cool down I'm sure calmer heads will prevail, myself included lol... Hopefully we will have a much better finish
                      to the rest of the month with no more issues....

Comment

Who is at fault.. a reasonable view is that the carrier that failed is at fault.. is vmedia going to get compensated by the upstream.. wouldn't think so.. given it was an accident if vmedia wants to give us a perk of some kind that would be nice, but customers would be better served if the underlying issue where to be addressed. A problem has been identified that could affect all people at some point in the futur, a redundant path should be configured. from what I can see, it was a transfer pipe that went to distro on vmedia's side.. and an alternate route may not be currently available to the upstream.. the alternate would be finding a secondary upstream for the media side.. it appears bell reroute dsl around the problem, in part cogeco and rogers probably did as well for internet.. as I said, this was a big pipe from one business to another from what I can see, getting business to compensate business may be hard.. we as comsumer may never see this particular issue again, but having a redundance upstream of some kind wound be nice, if it is feasible and should this issue ever occur again..I kind of see it for what it is, a point to point that went dark, and those take some time to fix as they need to be done properly the first time, there are usually a whole bunch of fiber's that need to be spliced from/to the appropriate broken fiber.

Comment

I contacted Leshka that I was having issues a few days ago, obviously (since it is gone) it was a break in the fibre, many orhers complained as well. It seems vmedia is a bit over there heads. Anyways, just wanted to put this out, and get everyone's comments, and see if any of the higher ups would comment.
                          Last edited by MrBee007; 03-11-2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

It seems you have to post that you are selling your vbox for George Burger comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X