Can you run a webserver on Vmedia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run a webserver on Vmedia?

Hi, I'm a vmedia customer in cocego territory on cable. Does anyone know if it's possible - or allowable - to run a webserver or an ftp server? Thanks.

Hi,

It's technically not allowed on a Cogeco residential plan, but they do seem to turn a blink eye to it. Hosting an email server is definitely not allowed, but FTP/HTTP is possible and there is no restriction in place from our side.

If this is a requirement for business or access is essential though, we would recommend hosting privately as we cannot provide support should Cogeco decide to restrict access on their side.

Comment

Why is running an email server not allowed? Does that mean I should be shutting mine down after running it the past year on ******** and vmedia?

Comment

Years ago it was mainly used for spamming

Comment

Some providers don't consider it to be necessary for residential internet service, and choose to offer this feature only on business class packages. Having said that, it's not actively enforced and not something which see come up often, but it's something to keep in mind.

Comment

Working...
          X