Unhappy with vmedia cable service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy with vmedia cable service

I've been a vmedia customer for around 2 months now and I am not very happy with vmedia cable service.

I made the switch from Rogers (who kept on trying to rob me blind every year) for internet, home phone and TV and decided to make the switch to vmedia.

Internet and home phone work just fine and I am happy with these 2 vmedia services. However, I have had nothing but problems with TV service from day 1 I made the switch to vmedia.

Issues include:
    - constant freezing which happens all the time I try to watch TV (regardless if I connect via ethernet or wifi)
    - loss of cable service (no connection via vbox) for long periods of time
    - loss of volume for 2-3 second interals

Last night, I missed a good hour of the Jays game which truly made me mad. I'm almost at the point where I want to cancel my Cable service and switch to Antenna instead and the only thing holding me back is the fact that I invested almost $300 for two vmedia boxes.

Is anyone else on this forum experiencing the same issues?

VMEDIA REPS:
    Is there any resolution upcoming for these constant unacceptable cable service disruptions and freezing?

Hi,

The issues with TV last night were on our end and related to a hardware failure at an upstream facility. Regarding your other problems (ie: constant freezing, loss of TV service) - please contact our VBox Support Team while this is happening and let us look into your specific setup and connection. This behavior should not be frequent unless there is an underlying device or network issue affecting your connectivity.

Comment

I've called VBOX support 2-3 times already and last time, they told me to wait for patch which was set to be released in mid-september.

I have DLINK AC1900 DIR-880L router which is fairly new (less than 1 year old) and I stream via WIFI perfectly fine for Apple TV, WDTV live, etc... so I don't know why I only get issues with VMEDIA box and specifically only with cable tv (no issues with streaming apps on same box).

I also have same issues both on WIFI and directly via ethernet (with router only feet away).

I'll try calling one more time later today, but I am quickly running out of patience for service which never works properly on a day to day basis.

Comment

I think what Matt is getting at is there may be a network issue vs a Vbox issue.

Side note... have you tried taking the DLink router out of the mix completely? If you have cable internet... go directly from the cable modem to your vbox. If things improve, I would say the router is the cause. If not, then it may be some network issues.

If the cable service is dropping, that makes me think it's more of a cable provider issue with signal to your cable modem.

Keep in mind with Vmedia... if the internet is not working correctly, then TV will not work.

Comment

Yes, I tried disconnecting from router and connecting vbox directly to cable modem and I got the same issues as mentioned above (freezing, black screen, etc...).

I also called tech support again today and the tech support rep remotely connected onto my computer to test my internet connection and he told me that there was no issue with the internet connection from my end.

The issues are also never consistent. Sometimes I get them after 5 minutes of watching TV and other times, I'll watch 40 minutes of TV before issue happens but the freezing always happens and its really annoying (especially during baseball or hockey games).

The tech support rep told me that he is now relating this issue to network people at vmedia and they are supposed to get back to me.

NOTE: I've also watched hours of Netflix in 4K definition over my network WIFI and I never had any freezing with Netflix so this tells me that it has nothing to do with my cable internet infrastructure.
          Last edited by k00lbean; 10-20-2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Sadly Netflix works differently... depending on what device you connect to. It's also routed differently to different servers.

When you said the loss of cable service... I'm guessing you mean TV not internet.

Have you tried factory resetting the VBOX?

If that doesn't work... I'm having to wonder if you got a bad box.(which isn't impossible..).

Myself I haven't experienced an issue at all like you are describing.

If you haven't already, I would try a full factory reset of the VBOX first. (using the reset button at the back of the box).

Last edited by koreybray; 10-20-2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Yes. I'm only getting issues with vmedia vbox cable tv.

I stream via Internet for nhl game centre live, Netflix, Apple TV, etc and I only get freezing with vbox cable tv.

I also have 2 vbox (one connected via Ethernet and other is via wifi) and I have exact same freezing issue on both boxes.

I haven't tried factory reset yet. Won't that set me back to original vbox firmware? Are you running via initial vbox firmware to have no freezing issues? Did you disable auto firmware updates on vbox?

Comment

Please check your PM.

Comment

Yes I just did and responded to your pm messages.

Comment

Please note that I have the same problem and it just drives me nuts. They/Support have explained to put in a powerline adapter. I figure it is another way for me to spend monies. As you say if I am on Kodi, I do not face any of these issues, only on the TV side.

Comment

Powerline Adapters are highly recommended, especially if you are experiencing problems and connecting over wifi. Wireless signal strength can be quite variable and fluctuate, which will have an immediate impact on your TV experience. Powerline Adapters ensure a stable connection locally to your VBox. Canada Computers and Best Buy routinely have pairs on sale for as low as $20.

Comment

Originally posted by pat View Post
                        Please note that I have the same problem and it just drives me nuts. They/Support have explained to put in a powerline adapter. I figure it is another way for me to spend monies. As you say if I am on Kodi, I do not face any of these issues, only on the TV side.
                        I recently went through this. I had powerline adapters, but they weren't working great. Turned out because I didn't have the adapter plugged directly into the wall as opposed to my surge guard powerbar. I plugged it direct into the wall and it works pretty great now. That being said, vMedia is definitely not perfect. There will be glitches and hiccups. But for the most part I find I can watch TV without any interruptions these days on my dual core and quad core boxes.

I have 4 of these TP-Link adapters and they work pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                        X