D day for major change in packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D day for major change in packaging

With d day fast approaching.... Is there any news on package changes coming up for vmedia?

By March all channels will need to be available in small theme packs, by December as standalone. We haven't received any pricing or specific details on what exactly is on the horizon as of yet. I imagine it won't be until much closer to the CRTC imposed deadlines.

Comment

I must have misunderstood. I thought it was this Dec it had to be small packs and march standalone.

Comment

Re: March or December 2016?
        I'm also a little confused.
        The most recent news articles I could find also don't seem to completely agree with each other regarding exactly what it is that must be made available by March 1, 2016, and what can wait until December 1, 2016. The CBC story seems to line up more with what MattVMedia said.
        http://www.640toronto.com/2015/11/19...-requirements/
        http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cabl...ming-1.3326645

Judging by their past behaviour, I'll make a not-so-wild guess that the big vertically integrated companies will attempt to avoid and keep quiet about any changes for as long as they can.
        I still do not understand if the independent BDUs like VMedia will be able to offer the standalone/a la carte option as soon as they can after March 1, 2016, or if they will have to wait until December 1.
        Last edited by Sham_Poser; 12-16-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Ill be honest... once the "other" guys are forced to "a la carte" their programming, it might be time for me to move on from vmedia as we aren't forced into buying massive overpriced packages.. dealing with vmedia has been a struggle at times when sometimes, you just want things to "work"...period. and once the big guys are forced to accept skinny packages then why stick to a company who's service is subpar comparatively? I wanted it to work, i really did...but I've reached a breaking point

Comment

rtotally agree with ChrisCarbon

Comment

Well put ChrisCarbon. I also really want this to work but am a few months from giving up. It was pretty good for 2014 until the infamous Nov'14 firmware issues and it has never worked right since - much better but still not right with regular locking up and rebooting on all 4 of our vboxes.

Comment

I read an article somewhere that the CRTC is thinking of allowing channels to charge 2 bucks a month to providers instead of 1 dollar a month. If the no nothings at the CRTC allow this than it will cost at least twice as much for what we have already. Just like they said cell phone packaging would be cheaper but no it isn't cheaper.

Comment

The issues in Canada is lack of competition.. If the market was actually open, like most free worlds, we would see major change in prices. With cell phones, Wind isn't big enough currently to push prices lower. S**w may be able to push this with investment in Wind now they are going to own them. We will have to see.

As for per channel prices, depending what channels you get, you may still walk away paying less.

I personally see with the few channels I want past basic, my bill will be 1/2 of what it would be if I had to get a huge package to get the few channels I wanted, even at an extra dollar.

Cable Channels WANT to survive, and over pricing them will only harm them especially with the growing cord cutting going on.

The public does not want 20 channels to get 1 channel.

We currently have skinny basic with the entertainment pack and a few others on their own. Out of the entertainment pack, we may watch 3-4 of those channels, but are required to get the pack currently because of how it's packaged. Based on the price point now, the savings would be huge if we only got 3-4 of those channels we wanted vs the pack.

Comment

Working...
                  X