Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching Sports while following on the internet, is there a delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Sports while following on the internet, is there a delay?

Hi,

Does VMedia still have a delay? So like if I were to follow sporting event on Twitter, would i know the outcome before i get to watch it live or would it be almost instantaneous?

Thanks and Regards,

Originally posted by somedude2024 View Post
    Hi,

Does VMedia still have a delay? So like if I were to follow sporting event on Twitter, would i know the outcome before i get to watch it live or would it be almost instantaneous?

Thanks and Regards,
    I would guess for fear of a large fine $$$, that all live broadcasts have a delay. I know someone in the industry, they nickname their equipment the "JJ box" after the infamous Janet Jackson NFL halftime show. For example, Evertz produces high end professional audi/video equipment. I snagged this description below from the Evertz website. Bottom line is that VMedia probably does not have a lot of control over the delay and I think preparing the stream for TV itself vs. OTA broadcasts adds to the delay.

"In live shows, there is invariably the need to time-shift various feeds that contribute to the final production. This may be required to provide delays to accomplish profanity censorship, contribution backhaul delay mis-match compensation or compliance for other contractual obligations.

The Evertz HDSD9545DLY-PRO Time shifting delay processor has been designed to give an operator complete control over the program content being broadcast to air. This product enables the operator to insert the desired time delay via a front panel control and display panel."

Comment

Well what I meant when i say delay is... when you are following the sport on Twitter or other social media feeds. I would know about a goal happening from people who had "other" TV services and not an IPTV, than me. I would see it happen 30 seconds after other TV subscribers would see it.

I don't mean delay as in the delay you are talking about.

Comment

We have an additional layer of encoding before broadcast, which does add some delay when compared to Sportsnet Now, TSN Go, or the classical incumbent TV providers.

We have improved this significantly over recent years, as we encode at a higher bitrate now which decreases processing time. It's difficult to quantify, but I would suggest our broadcast is roughly 10 seconds or so behind the aforementioned services now.

Hoping a few of our sports-centric TV subscribers can comment and share their recent experiences

Comment

Working...
        X