FTA Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTA Receiver

Hey guys, I know this is off-topic but I just thought one of you might possibly be able to help me.

I bought a new TV today to replace an old one. And so I was plugging in the HDMI cables into the new TV. I plugged in my XBOX, my VBox, and my FTA receiver (to get some international channels for the parents). Before I switched everything over, the FTA receiver was working fine. However, after moving it around a little bit and plugging in its HDMI cable into the TV, the receiver stopped receiving signal from the satellite. I tried rebooting, taking its coax cable off and re-attaching, but still no signal.

Any ideas?

This has nothing to do with V-media, so good luck with that 1

Comment

unplug the power from the FTA unit and then unplug the satellite dish coax from the receiver --> touch the center copper wire with the outside of the coaxial connection on the FTA box
      what your doing is resetting the LNBf(s) by removing any static charge left that can throw off signal..
      next thing to do if that doesn't work is do a signal test, if nothing you may need to do a hard reset

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies! I'll try it out tonight after work.

Comment

Was it only a TV swap or did you go cleaning up all of cables/devices that you thought you no longer needed?

Just to be clear, you can access the FTA picture/interface on the screen but you're no longer getting a signal from the dish, correct?

If so, are you 100% sure you're using the cable going to the dish? Is the cable directly connected to the dish or does it pass through some kind of splitter/switch (i.e an SW44) that requires a power?

Comment

If you have multiple LNB's on your dish, make sure your SW21, etc... is working?

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I tried everything mentioned in this post.
              Originally posted by pbeaul View Post
              Was it only a TV swap or did you go cleaning up all of cables/devices that you thought you no longer needed?

Just to be clear, you can access the FTA picture/interface on the screen but you're no longer getting a signal from the dish, correct?

If so, are you 100% sure you're using the cable going to the dish? Is the cable directly connected to the dish or does it pass through some kind of splitter/switch (i.e an SW44) that requires a power?
              It was only a TV swap. I did not take any cables or devices out.

And yes, I can access the Receiver interface and flip through channels, but the signal strength is 0. What is odd however, is that when I went into the settings and looked at the Dish settings, the signal and quality strength were 6% and 7%, respectively. I flipped through a bunch of Dishes expected 0 signal, but the signal quality and strength was 6% and 7% once again.

And yes I am sure that the cable is going to the dish. I went outside and got on a ladder and checked. The cable does pass through LNB's but I made sure they were still well connected and the other end was connected to the dish.

Comment

The LNB's are at the very end of the cable,, the other end is your FTA box..
                there are several types of setups..

1, straight thru (cable starts at your FTA receiver and ends at your LNB (eye of dish)
                2, switched (cable starts at your FTA receiver and goes to a switch.. ie sw22 or sw44 66 etc.. gets combined and from the switch goes to LNB (eye of dish)
                3, stacked (newest type) (cable starts at you FTA receiver and goes to a splitter.. output (basic type of coaxial cable TV splitter available at the dollar store) and input on splitter goes to an LNB (eye of dish) -- note this is a different type of LNB (stacked LNB) but they basically look the same.
                if you have a switch type system, check to see if switch is powered..
                these last three are circular LNB's

there is also Linear style LNB's that are different and need to be focused at the dish by turning them on its axis..
                and there are LNB's that are both Circular and Linear..

im not sure what satellite you are pointing at, as this would determine the LNB that you are using
                if its a c-band then the first 3 types above do not apply to you at all.. however below is the same fix for all types of systems

the best way to fix your problem,, which is fairly common,, like sometimes after a power outage.. is to disconnect power,, ground everything to get rid of any static electricity still in the lines, wait 30 mins, then plug back in and do a signal test,, which would by default on 99% of FTA boxes, also a switch test is applicable.
                to ground out LNB's and switches/splitters simply cross the center coaxial cable inner wire with the outside part of the coaxial cable.. but do this when the power is off

failing this a complete system reset would probably be necessary.. you would need to do a google search on your exact model to find out proper reset procedures

hope this helps ;-)
                Last edited by Sarum; 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarum View Post
                  The LNB's are at the very end of the cable,, the other end is your FTA box..
                  there are several types of setups..

1, straight thru (cable starts at your FTA receiver and ends at your LNB (eye of dish)
                  2, switched (cable starts at your FTA receiver and goes to a switch.. ie sw22 or sw44 66 etc.. gets combined and from the switch goes to LNB (eye of dish)
                  3, stacked (newest type) (cable starts at you FTA receiver and goes to a splitter.. output (basic type of coaxial cable TV splitter available at the dollar store) and input on splitter goes to an LNB (eye of dish) -- note this is a different type of LNB (stacked LNB) but they basically look the same.
                  if you have a switch type system, check to see if switch is powered..
                  these last three are circular LNB's

there is also Linear style LNB's that are different and need to be focused at the dish by turning them on its axis..
                  and there are LNB's that are both Circular and Linear..

im not sure what satellite you are pointing at, as this would determine the LNB that you are using
                  if its a c-band then the first 3 types above do not apply to you at all.. however below is the same fix for all types of systems

the best way to fix your problem,, which is fairly common,, like sometimes after a power outage.. is to disconnect power,, ground everything to get rid of any static electricity still in the lines, wait 30 mins, then plug back in and do a signal test,, which would by default on 99% of FTA boxes, also a switch test is applicable.
                  to ground out LNB's and switches/splitters simply cross the center coaxial cable inner wire with the outside part of the coaxial cable.. but do this when the power is off

failing this a complete system reset would probably be necessary.. you would need to do a google search on your exact model to find out proper reset procedures

hope this helps ;-)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all this. I really appreciate it! I will go outside and take a look once again tomorrow just to make sure everything is well connected. I believe I have the #2 version (switches). I have a cable from my FTA box running to a switch which then runs to the LNB.

Comment

prob blown ports on your switches...always shut down (power switch from the back of IRD) when reconnecting coax cables or you risk blowing the ports...you can buy cheap switches for testing to see if that was the case. man ive been out of that hobby for a few yrs...them were the days... if you want / need more support check out satfix . net - good luck

got a really nice Ilink 8000 (original) if interested, Pm me
                    Last edited by katburglars; 02-27-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

So i finally got around to playing around with everything. After thorough testing, ive ruled out the cable, diseqc, and LNB as the problems. I plugged in my reciever to another tv and it had a signal. I plugged it back into my new tv and no signal again. Could it be possible that the receiver is incompatible with my new tv?

Comment

Working...
                      X