Vmedia + Wind Mobile = Quad-Play Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmedia + Wind Mobile = Quad-Play Glory

I read this article that outlines how - for lack of a better phrase - amaze-balls it would be if Vmedia partnered with Wind Mobile to introduce a Quad-Play offering. Especially if Wind will get preferential domestic roaming rates as a result of recent government initiatives. To have my Mobile paired with Vmedia's pending Triple Play Services I can say, I would be happier than a pig in you know what. I can only imagine at this point a major hurdle for both Vmedia as well as Wind, is that people are currently bundled 4 ways with the big three and will not leave unless they can get a Quad-Play somewhere else... I'm curious what your thoughts would be on this George?

Original Article posted here : http://iveybusinessreview.ca/blogs/c...-fourth-place/

Thanks very much for your comments, we have some thoughts but for the moment it is best we keep them to ourselves. Best regards George.

Comment

wind mobile.. correct me if I am wrong, but they charge roaming fees for service within Canada.. Nope not interested.. makes no sense to sign up with a company for Canadian Service then charged roaming fees.. they have no coverage in Canada other than Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver.. that is silly - no wonder they are in trouble
      link to roaming fees : https://www.windmobile.ca/my-wind/fa...4-ff0300f64c51

Comment

It depends are where you spend most of your time. I'm pretty sure I haven't had more than $10 in roaming fees in over a year. Paying $40/mth for Unltd Canada calling and Unltd data saved me personally over $200 over that same period. AND I watch Netflix on the train to work every day. The coverage around Toronto is pretty good. My only gripe is no Orangeville yet. Because of the family plan I pay about $85/mth total for Unltd for 3people. Via Telus I was paying almost $170/mth for all 3 and getting less and limited service. The occasional roaming charge is nothing compared to the money I save.

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
          It depends are where you spend most of your time. I'm pretty sure I haven't had more than $10 in roaming fees in over a year. Paying $40/mth for Unltd Canada calling and Unltd data saved me personally over $200 over that same period. AND I watch Netflix on the train to work every day. The coverage around Toronto is pretty good. My only gripe is no Orangeville yet. Because of the family plan I pay about $85/mth total for Unltd for 3people. Via Telus I was paying almost $170/mth for all 3 and getting less and limited service. The occasional roaming charge is nothing compared to the money I save.
          I spend all my time outside of Toronto.. so I guess I have to stay with Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by sradonic View Post
            I spend all my time outside of Toronto.. so I guess I have to stay with Rogers.
            Far out of Toronto? I know it works solid from Hamilton to O****a and northern metro covering brampton to richmond hill.
            From there its sporadic, but they do have coverage in many urban centers around toronto (barrie, kitchener, london, kingston etc.)

If you visit a store, see if they will let you have a loner chip for a few days. They offered me one when I went to sign up, but I already knew my coverage was ok.
            You could also check their coverage map. they have expanded quite a bit in last few years. it's not just toronto core anymore.

Wind needs to shake the stigma they have built up for themselves. it's actually pretty good service. My gripes are no LTE yet, but that hasn't really affected me too much. I can still watch netflix at a pretty high quality.(HD as far these old eyes can see on a 5" phone) Also the uncertainty of their future lol. I don't want to have to go back to the high prices of Bellus or Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
              Far out of Toronto? I know it works solid from Hamilton to O****a and northern metro covering brampton to richmond hill.
              From there its sporadic, but they do have coverage in many urban centers around toronto (barrie, kitchener, london, kingston etc.)

If you visit a store, see if they will let you have a loner chip for a few days. They offered me one when I went to sign up, but I already knew my coverage was ok.
              You could also check their coverage map. they have expanded quite a bit in last few years. it's not just toronto core anymore.

Wind needs to shake the stigma they have built up for themselves. it's actually pretty good service. My gripes are no LTE yet, but that hasn't really affected me too much. I can still watch netflix at a pretty high quality.(HD as far these old eyes can see on a 5" phone) Also the uncertainty of their future lol. I don't want to have to go back to the high prices of Bellus or Rogers.

i have been eyeing koodo.. since I am not impressed with rogers.. received a letter which made me spit fire. the letter said to remain competitive and bring you great prices for your existing plan - we are raising your data fee $5/month so we can maintain your 6 GB data plan.. which is just out right offensive..

Comment

This thread is relevant to my interests. Now that I have moved my cable and internet, the next step is to take my phone from Rogers as well. I am leaning towards koodo, but wind is a close second. About this time last year koodo was offering their packages with double the amount of data, so I am hoping to catch something like that again.

Wind's packages are tempting, but I need to know I have connectivity in Bowmanville and on trips to Ottawa. If vmedia were ever to offer something via a certain partner, that might tip the scale for me.

Comment

i think if vmedia want to do a quadplay they need to fallow freedompop model in the US. their wireless service is over data instead of the usual bying voice and data from the big guys. that can be simple for vmedia because they are a team of engineer.

Comment

Doing that already but it takes time to do it right

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
                      This thread is relevant to my interests. Now that I have moved my cable and internet, the next step is to take my phone from Rogers as well. I am leaning towards koodo, but wind is a close second. About this time last year koodo was offering their packages with double the amount of data, so I am hoping to catch something like that again.

Wind's packages are tempting, but I need to know I have connectivity in Bowmanville and on trips to Ottawa. If vmedia were ever to offer something via a certain partner, that might tip the scale for me.

Steve to answer your question, my wife has Wind, we were not able to use her phone on our drive TO Ottawa, but once we got to Ottawa it worked like a charm.

Comment

i live near Bowmanville and my daughter goes to Carlton U in ottawa.. she is on wind mobile... about 2 years ago i setup her phone.. $31 a month unlimited.. prepaid.. i put $40 extra on in case of roaming and for following month... we drove to ottawa from Bowmanville, she was on the phone quite a bit (out of area).. by the time we got there, she had eaten up the extra $40 i had put on it..
                        there was zero problems with connectivity.. because it roams on rogers when its out of wind area.. but cost 20 cents a minute while on rogers..

so if u do a lot of out of wind area.. wind may not be the best choice... but as far as connectivity goes.. no problems at all... but it will cost you
                        if you stay in winds area, then wind may be your best choice for price..

just my opinion

Comment

I've been with wind for a couple years now and I love it. Way better price-wise for what I'm getting than anywhere else. Network in Wind zones is absolutely fine, and outside we roam on the Rogers network, which is usually fine. If you're not going outside of the Wind network often, they can't be beat. I'd love to see a deal between them and Vmedia, that would be amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by sradonic View Post
                            wind mobile.. correct me if I am wrong, but they charge roaming fees for service within Canada.
                            Wind is for the urban dweller who stays within the Wind Zone the majority of your time. If you're not in one of the major cities, Wind doesn't make sense.

Wind doesn't even work well in the outlying, very populated, suburbs of Toronto!

Comment

i did move to koodo end of september.. best move i ever did.. plus i brought my own phone and receive 10% off for life. LOVE IT>
                              https:// shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html
                              seems the plan i have is gone.. so glad i took it when i did.

Comment

Working...
                              X