vMedia over FTTN instead of Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vMedia over FTTN instead of Cable?

OK, Completely sick of the service... We use an antenna more than vmedia because of the crappy connection issues here. nothing like your show going all digital pixelated when your 10min from the end... same times most evenings.

So has anyone made the change to FTTN from cable and had better service? it's this or going back to Robbers or B---Hell.

Any input appreciated.

I made the switch over a year ago, best decision I've made with regards to service quality. It stabilized my TV service and we no longer have speed issues during prime-time.

Comment

I've had FTTN from the beginning. Almost two years now. Other than neighbourhood wide issues my service has been pretty stable.

Comment

This August will be 2 years on FTTN (TV & Internet). Very stable, I don't have nearly the number of problems I read on these forums. Very pleased with VMedia service.

Comment

Switched from ******** Cable to VMedia's FTTN 15 plan. Was great/stable when I lived in a condo at Yonge/Finch and still great when I moved to Etobicoke. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced the issues you are to have a comparison; all I can say is it works and there's rarely any pixelation when it starts up, peak times or not.

Comment

I would really like to no if you guys on FTTN are experiencing any of this black screen going on at this time.... Would be nice to try to understand why we are on cable... Thanks for your help in this

Comment

I am currently on cable, and I haven't had the black screens, but there is constant micro-pausing, especially on TSN feeds. I asked in the sales thread if FTTN would be better than cable, and I was informed I would not notice any improvement.

Anyone on FTTN having the micro-pausing issue I've described? I also get throttled down to 5 MB from 100 MB during primetime....

Comment

Sorry, I don't experience micro-pausing. I don't have TSN so can't comment there.

The throttling seems rather excessive. I have the FTTN 15 plan. My downstream speeds are around 12-14 Mbps and if the network is congested and they're throttling, I'm usually down to 6-8 Mbps.

Comment

I did experience 'micro-pausing' with my old dual core VBox. With the quad core there is no more freezing. There is occasional rebooting though, always with CBC Toronto which is curious..

Comment

Originally posted by rwilly View Post
                    I would really like to no if you guys on FTTN are experiencing any of this black screen going on at this time.... Would be nice to try to understand why we are on cable... Thanks for your help in this
                    Sorry. Was not on during the blackout. Assuming I would have seen the same problems as you because it sounds like the issues were on VMedia's side.

Comment

Correct. Problems related to broadcast at our headend would effect all TV customers, regardless of internet platform.

Comment

Originally posted by BadDogTItan View Post
                        I am currently on cable, and I haven't had the black screens, but there is constant micro-pausing, especially on TSN feeds. I asked in the sales thread if FTTN would be better than cable, and I was informed I would not notice any improvement.

Anyone on FTTN having the micro-pausing issue I've described? I also get throttled down to 5 MB from 100 MB during primetime....

I have seen the micro-pausing on TSN. It happened to me twice yesterday morning on TSN4 while watching Wimbledon. Twice within the same 1-2 minutes and then it was gone.

5MB I don't see as a problem for live streaming. I believe everything coming out of VMedia is 720p and 5MB is more than enough for that.

As I type this we are currently watching the Jays games and I have a son playing League of Legends online too. I just started Netflix on my PC and it is currently running at 5800 kbps with a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p). I am on DSL 15:1. The only reason I would need a higher bitrate was if I was to move to 4K streaming. Not sure if there is a benefit to 4K yet for me. At this time everything seems fine with TV, gaming and Netflix all running at the same time.

Some things to keep in mind. MS Edge and MS Explorer are the only browsers that support >1080p. Chrome, FireFox and Opera only support 720p. My PS4 supports 1080p and so does my LG television. So, unless you have a device and app that supports more then 1080p, than traffic management set at 5MB, in my opinion, should not be a problem. ALL the suppliers from what I've researched have some sort of traffic management in place.

I've also done the same tests during Primetime with the same results. On an earlier thread I posted some screenshots of the bitrates and resolutions from various devices. I see that NetFlix has better integrated their DRM with the MS browsers and it's not as easy to capture a screenshot now.

Comment

Working...
                        X