$25 Cable & Satellite Basic Cable CRTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Info1

Marscountry you need to visit Rogers site, your pricing is outdated they just made a change.

They are offering new internet plans 70, 100 and 250 (all unlimited no cap)..after 3 month promo rate $69, 79 and 89. Therefore VMedia 60 @69 is not a deal if I can get 70 over at Rogers for the same price. Only thing holding me back is the TV. If Rogers has to offer a $25 package based on the CRTC and I can get the kids programming via a theme or channel pics for the same price or less then I am paying VMedia I am gone. They are more stable.

That my point...sucks to be a small guys right now.

m
    Where are you located? Where I am in Toronto you're looking at 60 capped (200 gb) for $75/month; 100 unlimited for $85/mo; 250 unlimited for $95/mo. (all prices after 3-month promo rate)

Comment

Go here:

For example 250 unlimited is $54.99 first three months then $89.99 after that. Modem included. Not sure where you are getting your pricing. I am in Toronto too!

70 megs unlimited 34.99 for three months then $69.00 ----VMedia 60 megs $74.95 or $69.95 with tv.....no matter how you slice it Rogers for internet is a better deal and when this ruling for the CRTC kicks in TV will drop like a hot potatoes...

m

I cannot see any 70mb R...rs deal for 34.99 the 69.00. i live in Toronto. When i go to your link It does not have any 70MB only 250, 100, 60 and 30.
      Please ckeck again with your link.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank

Yes, you're right. This $59 60/10 retention plan including modem and Shomi is capped at 200 GB.

Be Careful with R...rs plans Nor only the 60mb is capped at 200gb data but you have to pay $1.50 extra if you go over the 200gb limit/month.
        I find this retention is an unfair practice by R...rs because All TPIA'S cannot compete and when the year is up they will revert to the full price
        which is about 20% more than what you would be paying at vmedia's unlimited 60mb. rates.

Comment

Don't expect TV prices to drop at all. That wasn't the point of the announcement.

I expect packages to remain the same and a new $20-25 package to be offered with just the basics. (No TSN etc)

Tbh, even if the big guys aren't any cheaper after this, I'll likely still stay with Vmedia. To have Vcloud, great customer support and an interface that doesn't look like it's still from the 90's is worth any occasional glitch that android may have.

Comment

Are you outside of Toronto, Info? That might explain it. Rogers offers different pricing in different areas. I also see the prices Terry has mentioned.

Comment

Hey Info1, Something is wrong with your Photo.The Photo shows R...rs 3-month prices are as follows: 250mb as $54.99, 100mb as $34.99, and 70ms as $34.99.
              Where did you get this photo, It does not seem right and i do not think R....rs would have different prices across different regions of the provinces.
              Plesse give more details of the Photo especially the 70mb price.

Comment

According to this CBC article, the changes are favourable to smaller companies:

"The changes announced Thursday would give smaller companies more protection by*taking away the ability of vertically*integrated companies to unreasonably demand minimum levels of viewers or revenue from smaller distributors in order to carry popular channels."

(For some reason, the forum won't let me post the link, it says the URL is invalid. After cbc.ca, add /news/politics/crtc-wholesale-code-change-important-for-smaller-cable-companies-1.3003817)
                Last edited by Jashn; 03-22-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the link, clear your browser cache perhaps...see attached.

m

Interesting. I'm not seeing this offering. What Rogers offers at your location is a very good deal. It's strange that different areas of Toronto would get different offerings. Are you in a condo building where there's competition of some sort?

Comment

and if you are looking at a tv package with your internet, you also need to factor in the cost of box rental and well, all those other monthly fees that made no sense to me...

Comment

There's a $17.50/month if you subscribe to their new Ignite plans.... Their regular price for the HD PVR box rental is $25/month (!!!).... think about it.... VBox is $99 now at Canada Computer (it was $70 when I bought mine). in 2 years with Rogers you will spend over $420 (with the bundle) to $600 (w/o bundle) just to have that 2ft/1ft box in front of your tv . I had no issues with Vmedia and i do like saving some money on my HDTV with cloud PVR + Internet bundle and having a small box. Btw, I bought my internet modem and Vbox, so no rental fees for me.

Comment

So George, does that info from the article I cited on the CBC potentially change things? You were mentioning the difficulties of creating different types of 'basic' packages due to penetration rate demands from various channels. Is that still going to be an issue?

"The changes announced Thursday would give smaller companies more protection by taking away the ability of vertically integrated companies to unreasonably demand minimum levels of viewers or revenue from smaller distributors in order to carry popular channels.

That dynamic can affect how channels are packaged and priced."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/crtc...nies-1.3003817

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel_ko View Post
                          There's a $17.50/month if you subscribe to their new Ignite plans.... Their regular price for the HD PVR box rental is $25/month (!!!).... think about it.... VBox is $99 now at Canada Computer (it was $70 when I bought mine). in 2 years with Rogers you will spend over $420 (with the bundle) to $600 (w/o bundle) just to have that 2ft/1ft box in front of your tv . I had no issues with Vmedia and i do like saving some money on my HDTV with cloud PVR + Internet bundle and having a small box. Btw, I bought my internet modem and Vbox, so no rental fees for me.
                          I am with Rogers, previously Bell Fibe and really wanted to go with Vmedia as I think they have a great product with some caveats. Their startup costs are too high, weak Vbox using an older non TV oriented Android and no support for ip over coax thus forcing you to go wifi even though the modems support ip over coax. Worse, the wifi uses only the 2.4GHz band which is jammed full. I suppose Powerline might be an option but that's hit and miss.

While I too can find no 70 Mbps unlimited Rogers the price for our bundle made Vmedia very uncompetitive. It will only get worse when the new skinny packages kick in. I hope not as there should be a place for iptv alternatives.

I do agree that the billings hassles with both Rogers and Bell are nightmarish. It would be nice if we could record conversations with them.

Philip

Edit: Never paid for PVR with either Rogers or Bell. Moreover the Internet modem is built into their prices and installation is typically waved.
                          Last edited by pmcd; 04-16-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X