Vbox or Roku?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbox or Roku?

I've just had my second vbox top working. Quad, no power to it. Might be cable. Anyways, these things don't last long. I don't pvr, only watch tv and use kodi. Would I be better to get a roku?

I have a vbox quad and a roku... I prefer my Roku. just seems to work better. At least the remote is more responsive on the Roku. Image quality is comparable. It also depends on the Roku you use. I have a Roku 4 that has a rj45 connector, not to mention I can easily switch to Netflix.

But if you use kodi, not sure that can run on Roku. I have a dedicated android box for that because I never really got it to fully work on my vbox.
    Last edited by rho88; 02-01-2018, 01:22 AM.

Comment

If one of your main uses is to watch TV then you might be frustrated by Roku. There is no way to select channels by entering numbers, you can only scroll through the channel guide. Also if you like to skip ads when watching on the cloud it is much less precise than vbox. Not quite hit or miss, but close to.

Comment

Roku doesn't offer PVR, only Cloud channels. My experience a VBOX is needed for a main TV in the home... but a Roku is fine for a 2nd tv.

My hope at some point is they introduce a whole home PVR, so the ROKU can also use PVR services.

Comment

I have a similar hope... A VBox that's able to mount and record to a NAS would be pretty nice (assuming other VBoxes would also be able to decrypt the recorded content).
          Last edited by mathewjohnson; 02-06-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I've been using the Vmedia TV service now for 2 years, over a measly 13mb DSl download speed , and .8 mb upload. I've used a quad Vbox unit, 2 Roku Boxes, and recently purchased a new VMax Vbox unit. The new Vmax unit is terrible compared to everything else, and I can only assume Vmedia has some type of code/software to limit bandwidth as everything was worse - from more lagging issues to being almost impossible to watch sports and endless buffering, ...perhaps due to others in my home (4 phones and 1 PS4) and my speeds slowing down in the evening..... So I decided to test out a Roku TV, a two year old Sharp Roku TV..... To my surprise it was 10 times better than any of the other boxes.. I'm even able to watch 4k Netflix shows/movies and this is still only on my wireless connection as I have not purchased the length of Ethernet cable yet to direct wire this TV. So based on my two year experiment, I would recommend to buy a 4K ROKU TV.. The Roku TV doesn't even buffer in the evening when all of the other systems, wired or wireless would lag. No explanation other than the Roku TV must be designed better.

Comment

Working...
            X