Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To VMedia or not to VMedia?

Hello All,

I have been lurking on this forum for a few days now and have had a couple of on-line chats with VMedia agents and as my subject says, I'm trying to decide if I should switch to VMedia or not.

A little background:
    -Currently with Start Communications and very happy with their service (They are a re-seller of Cogeco). Also a current customer of ****Direct satellite (yes one of the few).
    -Looking for a reliable ISP and IPTV provider and not wanting to go with Cogeco...leaves me ****** and VMedia.
    -Looking at the 55/10 cable with 3 Vboxes.

Have to say, the forums and other internet posts don't paint VMedia in a good light. The reported issues of degrading performance with DL speeds, frequent pausing of video and audio sync issues. Then there's the entire discussion on tariffs and the mandatory $64.95 installation charge for TPIA's and the CRT regulations. Which BTW, I was first told by the chat agent that the charge was due to CRT mandated legislation, then upon further inquiry switched to it was a mandated Cogeco charge and goes directly to them to pay for the site visit.

There has been comments (both positive and negative) around being a start-up company who experienced unanticipated volumes and demands. There are comments about this weekends CBB of 20% and what still appear to be degrading DL reports...

I've noticed some positive comments too, and the fact that moderators are attempting to jump in and help and offer direct PM'ing to customers to assist.

So the big question... Are the majority of customers with VMedia happy or satisfied with your service?

I would really appreciate a straight answer to:
    1) What is the mandatory service charge for if you're already with a TPIA who's on the wholesalers lines already (cogeco?) I can't get a straight answer and if a Cogeco tech actually does come out.
    2) Why is there a requirement to have your modem deactivated for 15 days prior to transfer? Can't this be transferred or coordinated for one day and reboot?
    3) When is the new remote with the integrated keyboard going to be available and will it cost more?
    4) Why are the Vbox units cheaper from Canada Computers AND you get 2 free months of premium TV instead of 1 directly from VMedia?This just confuses customers.
    5) Has the root cause of the video pausing or audio-synch issues been determined (please don't say it may be firmware or driver, just yes or no and what this issue is/was)
    6) Has the root cause of the degradation of DL been determined during certain peak hours on Cogeco lines? Is this Cogeco or does VMedia need to purchase more capacity from Cogeco (back to the under estimation of volume issue noted earlier)?

Please don't interpret this as an attack or negative comments about VMedia, I just want honest answers to make an informed decision before I sink my money into something and then have to pay even more later to switch back if unsatisfied.

Thank you.

I'm in the same boat as you. I however did take the leap of faith. Get my install today so I will let you no. I was very happy with start but wanted faster internet at a better price. I hope I don't have to switch back but I believe there is a buyers remorse period. If the internet holds up I will look into getting tv but have held off due to what I read as well

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_80s View Post
      Hello All,

I have been lurking on this forum for a few days now and have had a couple of on-line chats with VMedia agents and as my subject says, I'm trying to decide if I should switch to VMedia or not.

A little background:
      -Currently with Start Communications and very happy with their service (They are a re-seller of Cogeco). Also a current customer of ****Direct satellite (yes one of the few).
      -Looking for a reliable ISP and IPTV provider and not wanting to go with Cogeco...leaves me ****** and VMedia.

Have to say, the forums and other internet posts don't paint VMedia in a good light. The reported issues of degrading performance with DL speeds, frequent pausing of video and audio sync issues. Then there's the entire discussion on tariffs and the mandatory $64.95 installation charge for TPIA's and the CRT regulations. Which BTW, I was first told by the chat agent that the charge was due to CRT mandated legislation, then upon further inquiry switched to it was a mandated Cogeco charge and goes directly to them to pay for the site visit.

There has been comments (both positive and negative) around being a start-up company who experienced unanticipated volumes and demands. There are comments about this weekends CBB of 20% and what still appear to be degrading DL reports...

I've noticed some positive comments too, and the fact that moderators are attempting to jump in and help and offer direct PM'ing to customers to assist.

So the big question... Are the majority of customers with VMedia happy or satisfied with your service?

I would really appreciate a straight answer to:
      1) What is the mandatory service charge for if you're already with a TPIA who's on the wholesalers lines already (cogeco?) I can't get a straight answer and if a Cogeco tech actually does come out.
      2) Why is there a requirement to have your modem deactivated for 15 days prior to transfer? Can't this be transferred or coordinated for one day and reboot?
      3) When is the new remote with the integrated keyboard going to be available and will it cost more?
      4) Why are the Vbox units cheaper from Canada Computers AND you get 2 free months of premium TV instead of 1 directly from VMedia?This just confuses customers.
      5) Has the root cause of the video pausing or audio-synch issues been determined (please don't say it may be firmware or driver, just yes or no and what this issue is/was)
      6) Has the root cause of the degradation of DL been determined during certain peak hours on Cogeco lines? Is this Cogeco or does VMedia need to purchase more capacity from Cogeco (back to the under estimation of volume issue noted earlier)?

Please don't interpret this as an attack or negative comments about VMedia, I just want honest answers to make an informed decision before I sink my money into something and then have to pay even more later to switch back if unsatisfied.

Thank you.

Thanks for your questions. I will try to answer a few of them because I work for VMedia

1) TPIA to TPIA transfers are not accepted, only Cogeco or Rogers to TPIA is considered a transfer.
      2) This mostly applies to switching from incumbent to TPIA. There is no way to make sure modem is not rejected by incumbent or Cx cancelled services and they were processed by incumbent and Cx modem is free to use. Therefore, we use this 15 day period to make sure.
      3) this week. On the truck to be delivered today/tomorrow.
      4) commercial agreement
      5) yes. There a few reasons why it happens and and they are all known. Reasons include (end user buffering, signal source --> encoder packet loss --> A/V out of sync, box firmware or source VOD file (in case of VOD)).
      6. Yes. DSL is good. Cogeco is also good but we stopped accepting new orders and set first available install date to 09/27 because we are adding another 10G port on 09/26. We do not want to oversaturate physical port before next port is setup.

Thank you for your interest and we would be happy to have you as a customer. I am always available to assist with any questions

Comment

Hello All,

A little background:
        Thank you.
        I am in the same boat, trying to decide as well to switch or not. Currently with ******** DSL and POTS and also with ****Direct satellite. I am satisfied with ******** but would like faster speeds and my neighborhood only offers up to 10/1 DSL. So would switch to VMEDIA cable internet. Also looking at VOIP and ******** cannot port my current # due to not having numbers in the area and I do not want to switch to a new phone number due to personal reasons. ****Direct satellite is hit and miss, staying because of a grandfathered plan and PVR, but hate loosing signal due to poor weather conditions. So VMEDIA has to offer stable internet, phone and IPTV. Not 100% sold on the Cloud PVR yet, and get nervous seeing all the sync and speed issues on this forum and others.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbcanada View Post

I am in the same boat, trying to decide as well to switch or not. Currently with ******** DSL and POTS and also with ****Direct satellite. I am satisfied with ******** but would like faster speeds and my neighborhood only offers up to 10/1 DSL. So would switch to VMEDIA cable internet. Also looking at VOIP and ******** cannot port my current # due to not having numbers in the area and I do not want to switch to a new phone number due to personal reasons. ****Direct satellite is hit and miss, staying because of a grandfathered plan and PVR, but hate loosing signal due to poor weather conditions. So VMEDIA has to offer stable internet, phone and IPTV. Not 100% sold on the Cloud PVR yet, and get nervous seeing all the sync and speed issues on this forum and others.

Hey dmbcanada,

Have you looked into ******? I was with them before Start and they were pretty good. They now offer IPTV through ******. As for your VOIP, I use freephoneline (used to be canadafreephoneline). I bought an ATA and an unlock key and was able to keep my previous Bell number. I'm now $0/month for phone service with free calls to most cities in Canada. I hope VMedia doesn't try to prevent using this....

Best of luck.

Ieshka,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

1) TPIA to TPIA "TRANSFERS" not accepted. Ok, I'll leave that alone but does a Cogeco tech actually come out to my house? Perhaps SkyHigh can confirm?
          2) Ok...hmmm. How about waiving the loaner then? I don't want to pay $14.95 to ship it back.
          3) Excellent! Is this going to be included in the Vbox purchase or an upgrade cost?
          4) Ok, thanks I'll purchase from CanadaComputers then. (hopefully with new controllers)
          5) Thanks...Can appreciate it's difficult to isolate or troubleshoot end user variables but are some of those things preventable or configurable (buffering, packet loss) and AV out of Synch is the issue so how is that being fixed or is it out of synch at your head end/source?
          6) Ok, excellent guess don't have a choice but to wait until 09/27 now

Cheers.
          Last edited by leshka; 09-09-2014, 02:12 PM. Reason: do not allow linking to other domains

Comment

I just got mine as a new install not a transfer. I rented starts modem but bought mine from vmedia and yes cogeco tech came

Comment

Those "lurking" should remember that these forums contain a majority of people whom have issues and need help.
              Those people working great would probably never need to seek out a forum.

Does VMedia have a few wrinkles to iron out? Yes, but they are fixing things and not leaving customers in the lurch.

Comment

I use freephoneline (used to be canadafreephoneline). I bought an ATA and an unlock key and was able to keep my previous Bell number. I'm now $0/month for phone service with free calls to most cities in Canada. I hope VMedia doesn't try to prevent using this....
                How do you find the freephoneline service? I tried them out when they first started and the service sucked. Calls would frequently not connect, or take a long time to connect.
                Support was non-existent. In the end I asked myself "what did you expect for free?!" I now use a pay provider. (not vmedia)
                Last edited by leshka; 09-09-2014, 02:10 PM. Reason: do not allow linking to other websites

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
                  Those "lurking" should remember that these forums contain a majority of people whom have issues and need help.
                  Those people working great would probably never need to seek out a forum.

Does VMedia have a few wrinkles to iron out? Yes, but they are fixing things and not leaving customers in the lurch.

Yes, but it is hard otherwise to do research on a company. I don't want to invest money and time in something that will give me issues right from the start. I don't just jump into something I do my research especially since our lives revolve around the internet, tv and even phone. It sucks that there are not more people who have positives things to say on these forums and who are ones who are actually having legit issues as there are a lot of "Trolls" who show up and just stir the pot.

Comment

Hey dmbcanada,

Have you looked into ******? I was with them before Start and they were pretty good. They now offer IPTV through ******. As for your VOIP, I use freephoneline (used to be canadafreephoneline). I bought an ATA and an unlock key and was able to keep my previous Bell number. I'm now $0/month for phone service with free calls to most cities in Canada. I hope VMedia doesn't try to prevent using this....

Best of luck.

Cheers.
                    Yes have looked at ****** and ****** but they have high costs for the internet and do not like having to sign up for a year to get a discounted rate. So they have priced themselves out of contention in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbcanada View Post

Yes, but it is hard otherwise to do research on a company. I don't want to invest money and time in something that will give me issues right from the start. I don't just jump into something I do my research especially since our lives revolve around the internet, tv and even phone. It sucks that there are not more people who have positives things to say on these forums and who are ones who are actually having legit issues as there are a lot of "Trolls" who show up and just stir the pot.
                      Agreed. There are a few threads in here somewhere where people have asked about experiences. One of which i'm pretty sure I replied on.
                      Generally it goes like this for me:

a) TV is good, but bit rates need to upped a bit. fast motion shows tend to blur fairly quickly. America's Got Talent is one in particular a few people noted. Sports will need it for sure.

b) Internet is pretty good. there are spotty issues during some times of the day. I don't seem to be as affected as others are. I consider mine to be on par with any Cable Internet. The issues here are getting a lot of support attention and should be resolved fairly quickly.

c) Could PVR is neat. my wife loves it more than I do. She likes not having to remember to record something and can just go back in time. She's hoping for additional channel support.

d) Full PVR is coming really soon they say. This i'm waiting for. Coming from Fibe TV myself I totally miss pausing live TV, and recording my fav shows for later viewing.

e) the vbox is a nifty device, which goes beyond just the tv viewing experience. Being android based there is a lot of "play" potential.

I'm hoping for 5.1 audio support, bit rate increases are on the road map and channels are being added. So all in all a very good service. Even more so when you consider the price.

Comment

Some excellent points folks. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. As dmbcanada says, it's by lurking through these forums that people get some of the best information. At least by posting questions and receiving responses we are getting the information required to make an informed decision. It's also a positive to see the admins (and other customers) jump in and comment. To answer a question, my experience with freephonline has been very good. A few hiccups at the start but it's been reliable and good call quality for the past 2 years or so. Question about TV , perhaps stating the obvious, but does VMedia utilize a QoS bandwidth measure for those tv subscribers? Ie: what ever DL speed package the consumer purchases either add 5mb for iptv or use 5mb of it for iptv. Also, would enabling qos on your home routers help and allot that qos to the ip or Mac of the vbox? I think I will sign up, just waiting on the sept 27 date and answers about mandatory loaner. I'd like to waive the loaner. And when the new remotes are available and cost. Sounds like canada computers may be the cheaper way to go for 3 vboxs... Cheers.
                        Last edited by leshka; 09-09-2014, 07:43 PM. Reason: edited

Comment

Some excellent points folks. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. As dmbcanada says, it's by lurking through these forums that people get some of the best information. At least by posting questions and receiving responses we are getting the information required to make an informed decision. It's also a positive to see the admins (and other customers) jump in and comment. To answer a question, my experience with freephonline has been very good. A few hiccups at the start but it's been reliable and good call quality for the past 2 years or so. Question about TV , perhaps stating the obvious, but does VMedia utilize a QoS bandwidth measure for those tv subscribers? Ie: what ever DL speed package the consumer purchases either add 5mb for iptv or use 5mb of it for iptv. Also, would enabling qos on your home routers help and allot that qos to the ip or Mac of the vbox? I think I will sign up, just waiting on the sept 27 date and answers about mandatory loaner. I'd like to waive the loaner. And when the new remotes are available and cost. Sounds like canada computers may be the cheaper way to go for 3 vboxs... Cheers.

new remotes are ready for sale as optional accessory for now. We need to test them in real life production environment to make sure they can replace default ones.
                          On the side note, I wanted to ask you to avoid using competitor domain names and links to them in posts.I know if was not intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by leshka View Post

new remotes are ready for sale as optional accessory for now. We need to test them in real life production environment to make sure they can replace default ones....
                            where do we get them from now? are they available at canada computers? how much are they?

Comment

They have them on the website for order. They are $19.99 with $15 shipping! That's obsurd. I really hope they get some shipped to Canada Computers there is no way I'll pay that much for shipping.
                              Last edited by Hacksaw2085; 09-09-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X