To VMedia or not to VMedia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All,

As promised, here is a follow-up since my activation on Sept 27th. However, to save you time the summary is that I was impressed and service has been very good so far.

Installation

- Booked my cancellation of previous ISP for same day of new activation, loaner modem came in the mail as promised a couple days before hand.
    - Received confirmation email of install for Sept 27th between 8am-11am. At 12:30 I thought I better call as no one has shown up yet, upon calling Vmedia customer care, was instructed to replace my existing (previous) modem with new loaner. Upon doing so, all was up and running and I had 55/10 speeds. They then called me back and said it was a typo and that an installer will be by between 8-am and 5pm. Ironically, the installer showed up just after the call. He was surprised I was already up and running and said he better just check the lines or else he's not doing his job. So, still not sure if site visit was needed, but what the heck, up and running as scheduled so good on you Vmedia & Cogeco for keeping to schedule.

Vbox:

-Went to Canadacomputers to purchase Vboxes. Gotta say, a very disorganized and unprofessional store. Found Vboxes right away and asked staff about new remotes. They had no idea what I was talking about. So I informed them that they had new remotes shipped last week. They will be in one box and individually wrapped in bubble wrap. So they checked their inventory on the computer and had 5 in stock. The next 40 minutes were spent by a couple of them looking throughout the store for them, so I used this time to call VMedia and activate the Vboxes I had in my hands. They then got the manager and he found them within 5 mins. So if anyone is going to these stores to buy them, be patient and inform them that they are there, check their inventories and they are individually wrapped in bubble wrap (which BTW, isn't the nicest presentation of a product).

-CanadaComputers informed me I had to call and activate and tell them I purchased Vboxes at their store to get the 2 free months of TV instead of 1. So as mentioned, that was done while they hunted for the remotes. 2 Free months good to go, now taking boxes home to try out...

-Connected Vbox to both wired and wireless setups. (go with wired where possible). Setup was simple, if you're familiar with Android tablets it's a walk in the park.
    -Was up and running within a minute.

Viewing Experience:

-Picture quality, not too bad. Would give it an 8/10. Looks like "Lossy" video. The compression used isn't bad, but does have some artifacts and blur when watching things with motion (like NFL on Sundays ). I noticed 1 or 2 audio synch issues but honestly that was only while switching channels and it would buffer for a fraction of a second or two. Overall, not really any audio/video synch issues so far (fingers crossed).

-Vcloud is a nice feature. Tried it out on a couple of channels and works like a charm.
    -Did notice that when I tried to record a couple of future shows by following the instructions on-line.(Pressing red button) 4/5 of times came up with Vcloud not available on that channel.

New Remotes:

-Not too bad of a unit. Good weight and feel like others have said.
    -Getting used to mouse vs arrow key control takes some time. Would also be nice to know when to use one vs the other. For example, had a heck of a time getting a NetFlix show to actually play. Mouse, vs Ok, vs left-mouse button press, etc..
    -Keyboard is handy, just remember left-mouse button vs ok

Issues/Question/Observations:

-Would like to know what compression and protocol is being used for Vbox. As mentioned, it looks like Lossy video with some artifacts. I'm assuming an H.264, wondering if you're investigating H.265?
    -Would be a nice feature to have the ability to pause and re-wind "Live TV" like others do. Thinking that if you cache or put into a buffer to allow for a certain number of minutes (say 15min or so), it might not be too had to add this feature??
    - When looking ahead in TVGuide, any future dates/times didn't have any listings on any channels (all blank) except for the RT? channel? Tried this several times throughout the day, no future (as in 1 -2 days ahead) listings available.
    - TVGuide doesn't provide details like other guides. ie: Says "NFL game" but doesn't tell you which game so you have to select it to figure out who's playing.
    -It happened twice so far on the same VBox. It won't power on. Either remote of physically pressing the box's button. Had to unplug power from unit...
    -Netflix <- This is bold and underlined for those who use it. Vboxs are Android Tablets and so it's the Android Tablet version of Netflix as you all know. Point is that the picture quality is terrible on this compared to the SmartTV's built-in versions. Looks like standard def. What can we do to improve Netflix on the VBox?
    - 1080p vs 720p (read that on the forums too). Yes, XBMC GUI is locked at 720p, can't change that, but it is showing 1080p movies fine. I also set my Vbox to 1080p and adjusted the screen sizes (which BTW, your onscreen controls don't work, could only shrink horizontal or vertical, not expand. "ok" did not switch from shrink to expand). So, for me setting VBox to 1080p works no problem.
    - Would like ability set defaults on the remotes buttons. In particular the blue TV, Video, Audio, Apps buttons. For example, TV brings up guide as expected, but video does nothing. Setup XBMC as video app and would like to assign that to the blue Video "movie/film strip icon" button.

So, overall, Vmedia has been good.
    -Installation on time/schedule - Check
    -Speeds as expected - Check
    -Vbox - Not too bad, - I'm a video snob so could be better than 8/10 (motion, blur, artifact)

If you're wondering to VMedia or Not to VMedia. I myself will be sticking with them and have chosen to VMedia.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Mr_80s; 09-29-2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to write it up

Comment

Would like to know what compression and protocol is being used for Vbox. As mentioned, it looks like Lossy video with some artifacts. I'm assuming an H.264, wondering if you're investigating H.265?
        Yes, it is lossy with what I would consider a low bitrate (2Mb). they are basically framing an SD bitrate into HD 720p window and calling HD. 720p at minimum should be variable up to 5Mb for action. I assume with the bandwidth issues they are having, we won't likely see much of an increase here. As long as the image doesn't change much, it looks great :s.

Would be a nice feature to have the ability to pause and re-wind "Live TV" like others do. Thinking that if you cache or put into a buffer to allow for a certain number of minutes (say 15min or so), it might not be too had to add this feature??
        It's on the "coming soon" list. apparently on the next firmware update. can't wait!

- When looking ahead in TVGuide, any future dates/times didn't have any listings on any channels (all blank) except for the RT? channel? Tried this several times throughout the day, no future (as in 1 -2 days ahead) listings available.
        - TVGuide doesn't provide details like other guides. ie: Says "NFL game" but doesn't tell you which game so you have to select it to figure out who's playing.
        Buried around here somewhere Leshka said they are working on the guide data. I suspect with the other issues, this one is on the back burner. There isn't much squeak, and therefore won't get the grease as they say.

-It happened twice so far on the same VBox. It won't power on. Either remote of physically pressing the box's button. Had to unplug power from unit...
        Known issue, Leshka has a uboot patch that is supposed to fix the issue. alternatively, just leave the vbox on 24/7.

Would like ability set defaults on the remotes buttons. In particular the blue TV, Video, Audio, Apps buttons. For example, TV brings up guide as expected, but video does nothing. Setup XBMC as video app and would like to assign that to the blue Video "movie/film strip icon" button.
        i'm sure there is a way to do this. I was going to play with it myself but haven't had much time lately. There is an APK around here from leshka that captures button presses and returns the keycode. Using that we can probably configure at least XBMC to react properly to the vbox remote. maybe we can also make additions to the menu (this would probably be harder to do.)

Last edited by synack; 09-29-2014, 01:36 PM. Reason: I cant speel

Comment

apk: https://www.sendspace.com/file/nwar29

Comment

Thanks but could you pls explain what this does and how we can use it?

Not to harp on it unnecessarily but VMedia really needs to come up with a system that consolodates all these fixes, add-ons, apps, etc into one easily accessible place with explanations of what they are for otherwise they're buried and lost in a day or so and not available for broad access to other VMedia customers. Also as I've suggested previously, doing so will lighten the load on VMedia's tech support.
            Last edited by hbushell; 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

This is NOT a solution, nor is it for the faint of heart. This requires sideloading the apk file into the vbox and pressing remote buttons to get the "key codes"
              From there, you need to console into or gain access some way to the vbox file system to modify the right files. <- extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. You can mess up your vbox, and will need to factory wipe and reload it (assuming you haven't *completely* messed it up.) All of this would be considered out of vmedia's support scope.

What I'm talking about is figuring out what the "right files" are and edit them with the right information to make the remote work better.
              What Leshka provided is a first step to making a solution. Actually what he provided was a troubleshooting step to something else unrelated, but would help us in this circumstance.

Comment

As for the video quality, here are the properties of a mpeg chunk from AMCHD:
                Duration: 00:00:08.04, start: 19884.155967, bitrate: 2062 kb/s
                Program 16727
                Stream #0:0[0x22]: Audio: aac ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 117 kb/s
                Stream #0:1[0x21]: Video: h264 (Main) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
                  As for the video quality, here are the properties of a mpeg chunk from AMCHD:
                  Duration: 00:00:08.04, start: 19884.155967, bitrate: 2062 kb/s
                  Program 16727
                  Stream #0:0[0x22]: Audio: aac ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 117 kb/s
                  Stream #0:1[0x21]: Video: h264 (Main) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc

Hey synack, thanks for the follow-up. Yeah it's what I expected also. I'm currently deploying video-over-ip AV infrastructure and familiar with different codecs and compressions (motion JPEG, JPEG2000, H.264, etc..) I am a little surprised by the 2062kb/s bitrate. I thought I read and/or heard from Vmedia support that it's upto 5mb/s for "HD" You're probably right with all the bandwidth issues I've read about, perhaps they are limiting this... Leshka, can you confirm this and are you folks planning to bump the streams back up?? hint hint.

As hbushell points out, perhaps we could get a download section created on the site with some files and docs and of course a big warning..."Not for the faint of heart" I'd be comfortable "tweaking" the boxes (can you say xbox mods) but since they're brand new to me, I'll wait a bit longer. Would be ideal to have this button re-mapping functionality already but can certainly appreciate the low priority vs the other issues identified.

So, how do we raise the priority of a variable bitrate for those who want it? Action and sports would certainly look a lot better.

Any comments about the Android NetFlix app it's less than ideal pic quality?

Cheers all.

Comment

Some of the channels may be higher bit rates, but not any I have sampled. Heck, I'd take 2500kb/s. Even High profile would better. 2000 main is just to low for action.

H265 would be fantastic, but they may not have the hardware to transcode at their end yet. Also you need to consider the client side processing as well. But for double the compression of H264, it's a huge win for them regardless of the hardware costs. It would make for nice 720p. 5Mb would make for good 1080p

The current android Netflix app just plain sucks. it's made for low bandwidth smartphones/tablets. I've played around with a few "other" versions before, but it gets aggravating when the vbox tricks you into downgrading. No how much I tell my family to cancel the "upgrade." (vmedia can you stop pushing netflix?)

I suspect that once android tv OS gets mainstream Netflix will make a good app for it. Hopefully we can use it then.

I took some time and dug into the remote files. Looks like I can probably customize XBMC without much trouble. But vmedia menu app doesn't expose or read an IR remote or keymap "config" file that I can find. It's probably hard coded in the app. Any pointers from vmedia if i'm wrong here would be appreciated.

Where I've gotten so far is:
                    1) Sideloaded the APK.
                    2) Ran it grabbed a few button scancodes and noticed its just spitting back android constants from here:

Looks like next steps would be:
                    Edit either or both of Lircmap.xml and/or remote.xml for XBMC to assign button presses to XBMC "commands"
                    E.g.: button "1" returns 8. 8=KEYCODE_1. the 2 xml files define what KEYCODE_1 is to XBMC and what to do once that button is pressed.
                    I also think those files should be stored in:
                    /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
                    and
                    /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

I haven't tested any of those file locations or editing files yet. Life got in the way.

Comment

My understanding is that the NetFlix app for Android 4.3 and less does not support HD, period. From the NetFlix Android Tablet Features Page:
                      • Netflix HD playback is available on select KitKat (Android OS 4.4) based devices.

I'm not sure it's possible to side-load that version of the app to work on the VBox.

Comment

Actually, I stand corrected - apparently it's supposed to be HD on 4.3 as well: http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/n...3-1080p-video/ (not that it matters, as the VBox is still on 4.1/4.2 any way)

Comment

It sounds like we have a few of us that are interested and capable of doing an little technical deep-dive or alternate configuration work There is a modded version of NetFlix for Android floating around XDA somewhere that is supposed to allow 1080p on 4.0x Not sure if we want to try to side-load that version.

Wouldn't it be interesting if VMedia sent us a few Vboxs and allowed us to hack them. Perhaps even include some of us in beta testing of updates/patches or development (hint hint VMedia)

Until then I'd be happy if they increased the bitrate or at least made it variable. Those that have the bandwidth and desire, could bump it up. As you say synack, high profile would at least be better.

leshka, it might be a good idea to create a bug report or feature request or some other support option for customers to be able to view the running list of bugs and feature requests and to provide us both (VMedia and Customers) with one place/page to look instead of having to search the forums??

Cheers.

Comment

I agree with you Mr_80s, but this opens up a loophole that someone who is not technical might brick their box and then blame VMedia for bricking their VBoxes. I would love the opportunity to bump up my bitrate, I have the highest Cable plan and there are some software side of things which bother me, which I wish I could customize.

Comment

I would imagine the primary issue for vmedia is bandwidth. If the channels were bumped up just .5Mb x 3 allowable streams x 1000 customers = 1.5Gb. That is a real and significant recurring cost.

Whereas High Profile would be essentially "free" except for some processing overhead on the head and client side.
                              H265 would be best. They could up the quality 50%, and still save 25% bandwidth. (H264 3Mb = H265 1.5Mb) The costs involved are non recurring and the savings ARE recurring. A recipe for fast return on investment.

Also, I suspect the source feeds they are getting are not so great either. There are some channels I wonder why they even have them at all, they look like bad 80's quality.

Comment

Most our sources are 720p. High profile is not supported on some other (non VBox) devices which we intend to launch services on (when time comes). H265 is being work on. Current problems - encoders are still very expensive and lack feature or stability or require cpu that can only handle fewer than needed number of hls bitrates per stream (need multiple to offer quick startup/channel switching). We are aiming at boxing day to release our 3-rd generation box to support 4k tv, H.265, Android 4.3 (with Netflix HD), quad core CPU, enhanced graphics card, dual band (2.4 & 5 Ghz) & 2T2R 300 Mbps WiFi in a smaller case. Once penetration of quad core boxes reaches meaningful numbers we would introduce H.265 based channels to offer 15% improvement to quality and 15% reduction in bitrate for faster channel switching, better stability for our valued 6 Mbps customers and of course to help us save a few bucks on cbb

Comment

Working...
                                X